Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sweet Stuff from the Sweet Shoppe (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Unzipping Mac Files in Windows (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6382)

Robin Carlton 02-23-2008 01:10 PM

Unzipping Mac Files in Vista

Hey ladies,

Many of our designers create and zip their products on Macs, and due to a recent Vista update, the default extraction program in Windows no longer unzips Mac files easily.

If you are experiencing "empty" folders when you try to unzip some of our files, you'll need to download a third party file extraction program and install it to your computer. Many of our customers use and recommend the following FREE programs for this process...

CAMunzip
Unzip Them All

Either program shouldn't have any problems at all unzipping any kind of file.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems with your downloads after installing either program.

Thanks,
Robin

letumom 04-04-2010 01:33 PM

Thanks so much for posting this. I spent hours just this past Friday, copying and pasting the Quarterly Assortment that I had purchased this week. I couldn't figure out why the extractions weren't working. I saw the "MAC" file in the folders, and remembered that the copy/paste routine was mentioned during the ADSR5 race. But I'm happy to know that there is another solution.

Again, thanks!

kbbeale 05-30-2010 10:40 PM

I'm still having problems. I have tried repeatedly to extract these Mac files and I can get them extracted, but once I organize them I cant see a thumbnail of them at all - whereas I can with ones that are created with PCs. I've downloaded both these unzipping programs and still cant see the previews (even in PSE5)...so I cant possibly scrap without seeing the thumbnails....

Any suggestions here?

Kristen

MichaelsMomJo 06-12-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbbeale (Post 663302)
I'm still having problems. I have tried repeatedly to extract these Mac files and I can get them extracted, but once I organize them I cant see a thumbnail of them at all - whereas I can with ones that are created with PCs. I've downloaded both these unzipping programs and still cant see the previews (even in PSE5)...so I cant possibly scrap without seeing the thumbnails....

Any suggestions here?

Kristen

Did you go into the folder settings/preferences to make sure that it's set as an image folder? If it's not, you need to select that, then you should be able to see the thumbnails without a problem.

Happy Now 07-30-2010 01:40 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I have a somewhat related question...

When I unzip files on my *Mac,* I almost always also get a "Thumbs.db" icon, which is listed as a "Unix Executable File" in the details, and is anywhere from 4 KB to 8 KB or so... Does anyone know what that is, and if I should keep it? I am still fairly new to digital scrapbooking, and I am working out my organization as I add to my collection...

Please excuse me for hijacking this thread a little... Perhaps I should have just started my own thread. Anyway, thanks in advance!

Paula 07-30-2010 10:35 AM

Just delete it. It's a database file that you can't run on your Mac. You don't need it for the files.

Happy Now 07-30-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula (Post 687387)
Just delete it. It's a database file that you can't run on your Mac. You don't need it for the files.

Thanks so much! It didn't look like I needed it, but I just didn't know...

Cath 01-11-2015 02:54 AM

Anyone know where the temp folders are, that are made when you unzip. I have my directory windows go not responding after doing quiote a few, maybe to clear the temp files out would help windows locking up puter. I hate windows 8

adneycandy 04-06-2016 12:37 AM

I have tried repeatedly to extract these Mac files and I can get them extracted, but once I organize them I cant see a thumbnail of them at all - whereas I can with ones that are created with PCs. I've downloaded both these unzipping programs and still cant see the previews (even in PSE5)...so I cant possibly scrap without seeing the thumbnails..

BrattyMeg 04-06-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adneycandy (Post 1062815267)
I have tried repeatedly to extract these Mac files and I can get them extracted, but once I organize them I cant see a thumbnail of them at all - whereas I can with ones that are created with PCs. I've downloaded both these unzipping programs and still cant see the previews (even in PSE5)...so I cant possibly scrap without seeing the thumbnails..

are you on a pc and see the kit pieces just not the "mac files" if so that's ok they won't show up for you you can just delete the mac folder

If you are saying you can't see extracted bits of kits created on a Mac then that's a whole different issue. Is it possible to screenshoot hat you mean?

kristalund 04-06-2016 09:47 AM

This might help:
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...o-little-time/

Arnoldo 04-07-2017 02:04 AM

Does this only work on a Mac or can you use it on PC as well?

Camisetas 02-06-2020 03:25 AM

Thanks for this trick, I was going crazy with a particular design