Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What kind of vehicle to do you drive? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89029)

KristinCB 05-05-2018 09:35 PM

What kind of vehicle to do you drive?

We are (unwillingly by me :P ) having to look at new vehicles so curious what you drive? Anything that is really reliable (especially for winter driving for 6 months out of a year.. haha) and good on gas?

Kjersti 05-05-2018 10:12 PM

I drive a Ford Edge and absolutely love it!!

tanyiadeskins 05-05-2018 10:23 PM

I have a GMC Terrain and really like it. Its not exactly easy on gas but its not bad either. BUT... I have zero idea about winters lol

ellasspace 05-05-2018 10:25 PM

Subaru of course ... my husband is SR manager over engeneering there. Fabulous safety ratings ranked as a luxury car with an affordable price. Him and I both drive outbacks I have a green touring with brown leather and he has a white premium edition. (his is a co car he gets new free every two years)

britaneejean 05-05-2018 10:29 PM

I drive a Toyota Venza. It's a crossover, I think? It has AWD so it's been great in the snow!

jaye 05-05-2018 10:32 PM

I drive a Chevy Cruze, really good on gas and great in the winter (I live in Southern Ontario), drives wonderfully on the highway as well in terms of comfort and cabin noise.

I got it by accident, literally. My son had a deer meets car accident and bye bye pretty red Dodge Avenger. Son was unhurt, deer and car didn't make it :(

rach3975 05-05-2018 10:33 PM

You may laugh, but I love my Honda Odyssey! It's 11 years old and over 100,000 miles and still runs beautifully. Fingers crossed that I don't jinx myself by saying this, but we've only had a handful of repairs beyond routine maintenance. It's obviously not as good as a smaller car for gas, but for its size I think it does well. We're considering replacing it next year (since we have 2 older Hondas now and want to make sure we don't end up with both of them needing replacement unexpectedly at the same time), and we'll probably get another Honda Odyssey.

YepBrook 05-05-2018 10:35 PM

I have a 2015 Honda Pilot, I love it. Like... true love. I was solidly a Ford person (last vehicle was a Ford Edge) but now that I have a Honda, I am a lifer. So comfy. Fits 8 people. Tons of cup holders and storange. Spacious. Sun roof. Awesome features. Great handling. Good on gas. Has a hitch. Huge trunk space when the 3rd row is down. We chose a 2015 because I like the older style better than the new ones (they kind of look like every other crossover now).

KristinCB 05-05-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YepBrook (Post 1062918411)
Tons of cup holders

Lucas is all about the cup holders too... hahaha. Man he is PICKY

KristinCB 05-05-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YepBrook (Post 1062918411)
(they kind of look like every other crossover now).

I've noticed this too!! Like everything looks the same.. I don't really care about vehicles much (i really don't) but i'm not a huge fan of how round everything is. If it's going to be round it better be round and fly like in the jetsons.

kristalund 05-05-2018 10:54 PM

Mazda CX9
I really like it. I would like to get a newer model with AWD!!

KristinCB 05-05-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1062918418)
Mazda CX9
I really like it. I would like to get a newer model with AWD!!

this is one of the ones we're looking at too

jak 05-05-2018 11:10 PM

Funny you should ask... as of three days ago (also unwillingly by me) I no longer have a drive-able car and have spent all this weekend looking at new ones. Probably not much point me suggesting anything because you guys have tons of different makes/models that we don't get here and vice versa... and snow/winter driving is not an issue.

KristinCB 05-05-2018 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jak (Post 1062918424)
Funny you should ask... as of three days ago (also unwillingly by me) I no longer have a drive-able car and have spent all this weekend looking at new ones. Probably not much point me suggesting anything because you guys have tons of different makes/models that we don't get here and vice versa... and snow/winter driving is not an issue.

It sure is exhausting looking.. it gives me a headache! Make sure you get A/C <3 :wub:

karlimarie 05-05-2018 11:24 PM

I drive a Honda Fit and I LOVE it, but if we have more kids we'll have to upgrate to the CRV or larger.

I've always had tiny cars, like a Honda Civic and a Geo Prizm, so the Fit seems HUGE in comparison (though in the day and age of SUVs, it still manages to be the smallest car in the parking lot!) It's surprisingly spacious and lots of storage options.

Great gas mileage! Affordable! 10 cup holders! And I love the look of a cute hatchback!

adi&co. 05-06-2018 01:36 AM

I have a Honda Odyssey and seriously it’s fabulous. We have two huge dogs and three kids, so we put the back seats down and put the dogs in the back and can still take the kids because the middle row has three seats. I love having extra room to take extra kids if I need to as well. Helps in a pinch!

navaja77 05-06-2018 02:47 AM

:DI am still driving my first vehicle that I bought about a year after I was done with college. 2001 Ford F150 supercab with manual transmission and roll-down windows. It sucks driving in the snow but I love it. :wub:

ChristineF 05-06-2018 03:55 AM

Well it wouldn’t be reliable in winter at all, at least not if you need to drive far, but it is fast and cheap to drive. I have an electric golf and it’s just so easy and you don’t have to get gas. Just plug it in at home and it’s ready the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjscraps 05-06-2018 09:13 AM

I drive a Nissan Rogue - it's really good on gas because it's only a 4 cylinder, and I commute about 30 min. each way so that is key for us especially at current prices.

HeatherH 05-06-2018 09:32 AM

I have a Nissan Murano which I love. Smooth ride, very comfortable but we recently got a Jeep Trailhawk for my husband and it is waayyy better in the snow (we live in Maine) and way better on gas, too.

biancka 05-06-2018 10:27 AM

I don't have a drivers license myself (so I ride a bike, LOL) but we do own a Volkswagen Tiguan. We just got it in January and we love it :)

craftytam 05-06-2018 10:42 AM

I drove my 2004 Toyota Sienna until last year when it finally gave in. I LOVED my minivan!! It was seriously the best car ever. Lots of room, tons of cup holders. Great to drive.
Now we're driving a Nissan Pathfinder. It's okay. I'm thankful for it, but it's not my van :closedeyes:
I'm looking at getting either a Toyota Highlander or maybe a Subaru Outback.

KristinCB 05-06-2018 10:59 AM

Thanks for sharing! It's kind of hard because where I live there are no dealerships. We have a small one 45 minutes away but if we were to actually really go look at vehicles (and we're wanting used) it's 2+ hours.. and then I hate making decisions that same day.

craftytam 05-06-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1062918552)
Thanks for sharing! It's kind of hard because where I live there are no dealerships. We have a small one 45 minutes away but if we were to actually really go look at vehicles (and we're wanting used) it's 2+ hours.. and then I hate making decisions that same day.

That would be challenging :( I wouldn't want to make a decision the same day (although DH did when he got the Pathfinder).

KristinCB 05-06-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftytam (Post 1062918553)
That would be challenging :( I wouldn't want to make a decision the same day (although DH did when he got the Pathfinder).

Yea.. that's a fight between me and my husband :O I want to sit and wait on things and he is all about doing it now because.. you know there aren't 2985029 other vehicles out there :P :o

I'm looking online and trying to find everything I can but it's so hard to just look at pictures

NeverendingJen 05-06-2018 11:16 AM

I have a ford Edge and love it. It was my dream car for a lot of years and we finally got it 2 years ago and it has been great. It handles wonderfully in the mountains and in snow.

Sheana 05-06-2018 12:57 PM

I just got a Chevy Trax a few months ago and love it. I opted for AWD because we have winter for like 4 months out of the year and I drive 120 miles a day to and from work so I needed something that would be okay in the snow. It also gets great gas mileage.

KristinCB 05-06-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheana (Post 1062918585)
I just got a Chevy Trax a few months ago and love it. I opted for AWD because we have winter for like 4 months out of the year and I drive 120 miles a day to and from work so I needed something that would be okay in the snow. It also gets great gas mileage.

woah! that's a lot of driving!

craftytam 05-06-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1062918559)
Yea.. that's a fight between me and my husband :O I want to sit and wait on things and he is all about doing it now because.. you know there aren't 2985029 other vehicles out there :P :o

I'm looking online and trying to find everything I can but it's so hard to just look at pictures

I ended up just leaving the search to hubby. I cried when he called and told me he was trading in Mrs Toad's Wild Ride :crying:

LeeAndra 05-06-2018 03:17 PM

I have a Chrysler Town & Country (minivan) that does fine in the snow. Even with new tires last year, it can be a little slippy on the ice but maybe I'm just a bad ice driver?! :D:p

kendallt 05-06-2018 03:43 PM

I'm still driving the same car I've had for 16 years! :blink: It's a Honda Accord, and it's held up great for all this time, but I've been seriously thinking lately it's time for something new - as much as I don't like the idea of having a car payment! I've been looking at the Honda HRV, which is the smaller version of the CRV, and I'm pretty much convinced that's the car I want.

LynnZant 05-06-2018 05:48 PM

I have a Honda Odyssey. It's super reliable, but I personally think it's terrible in the snow. My next vehicle will be all wheel drive.

tjscraps 05-06-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1062918552)

Come stay at hotel Jones whenever you want, tons of dealerships around here! :)

KristinCB 05-06-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjscraps (Post 1062918790)
Come stay at hotel Jones whenever you want, tons of dealerships around here! :)

hehe! we actually have a friend who works at a dealership in red deer.. but i think it's weird when you get friends involved in big purchases like that :O

Tronesia 05-07-2018 06:11 AM

We have a 2017 Honda Pilot. It handles better, but I definitely miss the comfort and body style of the 2015 Pilot we had.

AmieN1 05-07-2018 11:39 AM

I have a 2015 GMC Acadia- It's actually our 2nd acadia since we love them SO much! It's a great family car (dvd player, cupholders, 3rd row seat option) but also does great in the winter snow/ice with AWD.

KristinCB 05-07-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tronesia (Post 1062918875)
We have a 2017 Honda Pilot. It handles better, but I definitely miss the comfort and body style of the 2015 Pilot we had.

interesting to know for sure!!

Thanks for all these suggestions! My head is SO tired from looking.. the amount of tabs I have open on my browser right now is insane :O

We are looking more at the SUV's with a 3rd row but I can't help but think that back row won't be all that comfortable for either kid in a few years time (lily is 15 and lucas is 10)

dballance 05-07-2018 11:47 AM

I have a Mercury Mountaineer which I ADORE!!! I live in eastern NC though so we don't get much snow. It's pretty good on gas considering it's size.

tammybean04 05-07-2018 02:10 PM

We drive a 2007 Ford Escape.

YepBrook 05-07-2018 02:23 PM

KCB, my friend Jenny has a GMC Acadia and it's super comfy! The 3rd row has lots of leg room. They are especially tall people, so leg room in the 3rd row was very important to her. It feels smaller than the Pilot to me for some reason (I think the windows are smaller). We liked it but at the time, the deals were better on the Pilot.

For us, the 3rd row on the Pilot was big enough and fits an adult easily unless they are a big/tall person. That being said, most adults will not want to sit in ANY 3rd row for an extended trip unless it's a minivan because those are actually built to be comfier as they are intended to always be an open row.

KristinCB 05-07-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YepBrook (Post 1062918959)
KCB, my friend Jenny has a GMC Acadia and it's super comfy! The 3rd row has lots of leg room. They are especially tall people, so leg room in the 3rd row was very important to her. It feels smaller than the Pilot to me for some reason (I think the windows are smaller). We liked it but at the time, the deals were better on the Pilot.

For us, the 3rd row on the Pilot was big enough and fits an adult easily unless they are a big/tall person. That being said, most adults will not want to sit in ANY 3rd row for an extended trip unless it's a minivan because those are actually built to be comfier as they are intended to always be an open row.

super tall family here! ;) hahahaha

AmieN1 05-07-2018 02:32 PM

Our 3rd row fits adults pretty well in the Acadia! It's nice too because the middle row are captains chairs- so the person who sits in the middle of the 3rd row can stretch their legs completely forward. We did a road trip with my inlaws, both kids & the dog (6 people) and we were all very comfortable!

KristinCB 05-07-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieN1 (Post 1062918966)
Our 3rd row fits adults pretty well in the Acadia! It's nice too because the middle row are captains chairs- so the person who sits in the middle of the 3rd row can stretch their legs completely forward. We did a road trip with my inlaws, both kids & the dog (6 people) and we were all very comfortable!

This is what I like too.. my son (who doesn't really get a say.. don't worry) was complaining because he doesn't like the middle rows that have captains chairs because he said then he would have less privacy in the back. PICKY! :blink:

YepBrook 05-07-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieN1 (Post 1062918966)

Yes, this is how my friend got hers, the captains chairs. But I actually wanted 8 seats. That way when the 3rd row is down (which it usually is, because I often have the trunk full of beach chairs, etc) we have 3 seats in the middle row.

YepBrook 05-07-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1062918963)
super tall family here! ;) hahahaha

Aaron is the tallest in our family... and he's 5'9. And he's probably not even that, that's just what he says!!! :D

Leablahblah 05-07-2018 04:43 PM

We have a RAV4. I love the v6 power because I can merge easily in traffic on the highway.
We are looking to get a black (has to be black so it can look a bit fancier) Sienna because it would be easier with the kids and wanting one more kid too.

abm234 05-07-2018 07:41 PM

I have the Toyota Highlander. I use to have a Toyota Sienna. My only "complaints" with the Highlander is that I don't get near as good of gas mileage as advertised. Also, the backseat is not comparable to the Sienna or a minivan. My kids are 14-14-9 and it's a constant fight over who has to sit in the back because the back seat sucks. With 2 kids KCB you might be fine with the crappy back seat because you wouldn't need it everyday. My kids would rather take my husband's truck and all three ride in his back seat than fight over who gets the back in the Highlander. But, the Highlander is one of few SUV that have captain's seats in the middle row which I really like!

JMC1988 05-07-2018 07:52 PM

I'm just chiming in to be chiming in :p I have a 2017 Kia Optima. It is one of the midsize cars for Kia and I had not planned to get it when I was car shopping last August! I too HATED shopping for a new car and spent ALL DAY at the dealership and went home with a car the same day. I went in for a used car and came out with a brand new car. It worked out better in the end. It has plenty of room in the back. The car salesman was over 6 foot tall and he had PLENTY of leg room in the back seat on the test drive. It handles / drives fabulously and gets great gas mileage. For the little (BIG) snows we had over the winter it handled really well. But since it's not an SUV I am not help.

lovely1m 05-07-2018 08:00 PM

Toyota RAV4. I specifically bought it due to our winters. It's all wheel drive, but gets great gas mileage. I love it. It's so comfy and easy to drive, plus has a good amount of room.

LJSDesigns 05-07-2018 10:41 PM

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester and I really love it. It handles great in the snow and I have no complaints about the gas mileage. I did a ton of research before I bought it and it has a great safety record and high resale value. I have been driving it for 8 years now, have over 100,000 miles on it and have only had to do regular maintenance on it. My next one will probably be a newer model of the same. ;)