Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SSD facebook group question (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93628)

aussiegirl 01-26-2021 11:43 AM

SSD facebook group question

So I had answered a question about shows we binge watch in the SSD Facebook group. But I was then shocked to see friends from my Church (not scrapbookers) also commenting on the post, and liking another person from Church's comment. I believed the group was a private group where only people who were part of the group could see or read comments. Is this not true? While I don't care that they saw my comment, I do try to keep my scrapping and regular Facebook life seperate. I know that half of my family and friends don't quite understand what I do and that's fine. But it was just shocking to see them commenting and liking a post made in my scrapbook group! It made me self concious thinking that they could see or read posts I made in the scrapping group, especially since I keep the two seperate. Hoping someone has the answers to this (I couldn't view the privacy settings of the group on my phone). Thanks!

erica zane 01-26-2021 11:58 AM

When I go to the FB page it says this...but I'm not very FB savvy to have any helpful answers as to how others can see it on your feed, maybe someone else will know

https://i.imgur.com/4TEhCGO.jpg

KristinCB 01-26-2021 12:02 PM

was it the sweet shoppe chatter group or a different facebook group? I don't see a post about bingewatching shows in the chatter group, could it have been a designers FB group? The official ssd group is the ssd chatter one and that is private so only members can see who posts/comments there

aussiegirl 01-26-2021 12:06 PM

It was on the Sweet Shoppe Designs Facebook "page"? The date of the question was Jan 18th.

KristinCB 01-26-2021 12:08 PM

oh I see it's on the sweet shoppe designs facebook page. Facebook pages are all public (this goes for any page there is no way to make them private) so if you comment on a post there people can see it. Groups can be set to private though so there is more privacy there.

I understand how you feel because I'm pretty private too and like to keep things separate.

https://i.imgur.com/V6hIri8.png
Whenever you see the little globe icon beside a date that means the post is public (so that goes for posts you comment on for friends etc) and anyone could end up seeing it.

Kimberly27 01-26-2021 12:11 PM

I think the Sweet Shoppe FB page is just a page vs a private group. So anyone can like it or see it. On facebook you can have pages or groups and the SS one is just a page with likes and followers VS a group that is private with rooms, discussions, files, albums and a lot more options. :)

Rubia Padilha 01-26-2021 12:13 PM

And, adding little more info, even considering groups are less public, anyone can make part of it, even if the person doesn't scrapbooking, since we have no way to know who does or not.

Rubia Padilha 01-26-2021 12:14 PM

That is our "closed" group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/711450272232358

That is our fan page:
https://www.facebook.com/SweetShoppeDesigns

Kimberly27 01-26-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha (Post 1063032082)

I had no idea there was a closed group page. :) Off to check it out. I don't get on FB much at all but like to check in every now and then.:wub:

abm234 01-26-2021 12:46 PM

Yikes! I try to keep the two lives separate as well!

nesser1981 01-26-2021 12:52 PM

Looks like everyone has helped answer this question, but our Facebook Fanpage is open to all and anyone can see it. But like others have shared, we do have a private Facebook Group called Sweet Shoppe Chatter and only members of the group can see what you share there. We get a lot of traditional scrappers that follow our Fanpage as well. And when you comment on a public post, sometimes it will show up in the feed of your friends. I'm not sure why, but it does happen. I see it all the time on my personal page for things I don't "like".

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiegirl (Post 1063032073)
So I had answered a question about shows we binge watch in the SSD Facebook group. But I was then shocked to see friends from my Church (not scrapbookers) also commenting on the post, and liking another person from Church's comment. I believed the group was a private group where only people who were part of the group could see or read comments. Is this not true? While I don't care that they saw my comment, I do try to keep my scrapping and regular Facebook life seperate. I know that half of my family and friends don't quite understand what I do and that's fine. But it was just shocking to see them commenting and liking a post made in my scrapbook group! It made me self concious thinking that they could see or read posts I made in the scrapping group, especially since I keep the two seperate. Hoping someone has the answers to this (I couldn't view the privacy settings of the group on my phone). Thanks!

aussiegirl 01-26-2021 01:50 PM

Thank you all so much! That helped greatly! I didn't know all of that, so it's good to know, and it does help explain it! Thank you all for taking time to respond and educate me! :)

Leablahblah 01-26-2021 02:43 PM

I have noticed that one of my mom's cousins was "liking" my answer on some of the SSD questions. I had no idea people could see it outside of members. It made me a little paranoid because I don't like sharing my life outside of my close family.

LJSDesigns 01-26-2021 04:21 PM

LOL, with so many of us not liking to share our lives as openly as all that, it makes me wonder why FB is so dang successful. ;)

lorigaud 01-26-2021 06:32 PM

Learned something new - I never knew about the private fb group! Just sent a join request. Yeah, I'm with many of you in that it kind of freaks me out when non-scrappy people I know make comments on posts - I'm thinking like "No! This is my thing... stay out of it!" lol.

rach3975 01-26-2021 10:25 PM

I try to keep my two "lives" separate as well. I mostly use FB for people I know in real life and interact with scrappy people on Instagram. (I registered for each with different email addresses to make it harder for people I interact with on one to find me on the other.) There are times when I know I'm missing out on things going on with SSD on FB, but so be it.

renysmom 06-07-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha (Post 1063032082)

Thanks for sharing the chatter link.. Off to check it out.

joelsgirl 06-08-2021 10:45 AM

I have had this experince, too, and it is so stupid! Why do the things I like and comment on show up in the feeds of people who have no connection to the things I'm liking and commenting on?? I've stopped interacting with the SSD FB page as much ever since a non-scrappy friend private messaged me about a comment I had made. It's really creepy. I can understand why someone who goes to the SSD FB page would see my comment, but, really, Facebook, why does my mom need to see it?

craftytam 06-13-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJSDesigns (Post 1063032115)
LOL, with so many of us not liking to share our lives as openly as all that, it makes me wonder why FB is so dang successful. ;)

LOL! I've thought the same thing. :D

craftytam 06-13-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1063050942)
I have had this experince, too, and it is so stupid! Why do the things I like and comment on show up in the feeds of people who have no connection to the things I'm liking and commenting on?? I've stopped interacting with the SSD FB page as much ever since a non-scrappy friend private messaged me about a comment I had made. It's really creepy. I can understand why someone who goes to the SSD FB page would see my comment, but, really, Facebook, why does my mom need to see it?

My aunt commented on one of my comments on the fan page. I thought that was so funny. While I don't really care, it does make me pay more attention to the privacy of groups depending on what I'm posting.