Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you like sweet potatoes? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97870)

KristinCB 10-11-2023 02:34 PM

Do you like sweet potatoes?

Asking this because of another thread..

This seems to be something people are often quite divisive on.. I like them.. prepared any way I have never met a sweet potato I didn't like. I would cook with them so much more but none of my family likes them. I think it must be a texture thing that turns a lot of people off but the texture to me doesn't seem all that different from a normal potato.. lol

anyways share with me your favourite meals that involve sweet potatoes.. maybe I can just cook them for myself :P

This is one of my favourites

https://www.primaverakitchen.com/gro...otato-skillet/

- I cook it for me and then i have lots of leftovers for lunches for the following few days or so.

bcgal00 10-11-2023 02:47 PM

I love sweet potatoes. I dice them up either in big chunks or strips, coat them in oil and add seasonings, then bake. I vary what I use but some of the seasonings are garlic/onion powder, cajun spice, paprika, taco seasoning, seasoned salt mix, cayenne pepper, smoked cayenne pepper...not all of these together, just picking a couple but always add salt/pepper and garlic/onion powder. I make a dip of mayo, greek yogurt, a big dash of hot sauce or sweet chili sauce.

tjscraps 10-11-2023 03:26 PM

I like them when they're fries, I'm not fussy on them otherwise!

MamaBee 10-11-2023 03:47 PM

nope...nope... nope... I just can't. I've tried many time, and I don't like the thick mushy texture nor the taste. But potatoes - oh, I'll wax poetry for that spud!

3BluEyedBabi 10-11-2023 04:04 PM

I love sweet potatoes. My favorite is when we cook them on the grill and then add lots of butter when you cut them open to eat! Yum! Another family favorite is sweet potato casserole which I make for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

Kimberly27 10-11-2023 04:31 PM

Not a fan either but Hubby and my youngest like them. Sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries...I am not a fan of the texture or the sweetness.

tanyiadeskins 10-11-2023 04:48 PM

I love them and no one else in the family likes them except for candied yams at Thanksgiving.

I eat mine literally plain tho. I put 4 or 5 in the oven to bake and put the leftovers in the frig ... I had a lot of food issues lately so that's why they are literally plain. No butter, no salt, nada

carrie1977 10-11-2023 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBee (Post 1063151743)
nope...nope... nope... I just can't. I've tried many time, and I don't like the thick mushy texture nor the taste. But potatoes - oh, I'll wax poetry for that spud!

Same, girl. Same.

angiekey 10-11-2023 05:08 PM

Just like Carrie and Rebecca - I can't do it. My husband (and my in-laws) love sweet potatoes, but I can't get past the texture/flavor combo. But like the good Irish girl I am, I never met a white/yellow/golden/red potato I didn't like.

Lidia G 10-11-2023 06:18 PM

Nope, not a big fan and my husband doesn't like them either. All three of my grownup boys however love them. I wonder where they got that from since I never cooked them while they were still living at home. Strange....lol.

JoCee 10-11-2023 08:34 PM

one of my absolute fave veggies.
I make a mean sweet potato and pumpkin soup... OMG, even our son loves it, and that's saying something, lol

KristinCB 10-11-2023 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoCee (Post 1063151768)
one of my absolute fave veggies.
I make a mean sweet potato and pumpkin soup... OMG, even our son loves it, and that's saying something, lol

omg that sounds good!

Leablahblah 10-11-2023 09:08 PM

I like them if it's served with salt.

If it's that horrible Thanksgiving or Christmas dish served with cinnamon, brown sugar and even worse marshmallows I'll pass.

This is my favorite dish with it.
Moroccan Shepherd's Pie

bienejen 10-11-2023 09:55 PM

I love them in just about every format. One recipe I've wanted to try I saw on TV once was something like putting chili on a baked one. It wasn't exactly like that, but it reminded me of that. Now I need to find that recipe.

Dalis 10-11-2023 10:03 PM

Nope, unless they are like fries and you have to mask the sweetness with a gazillion tons of spices!

JoCee 10-12-2023 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1063151770)
omg that sounds good!

IT IS!!
will post recipe here in a bit for ya xx

joelsgirl 10-12-2023 03:04 AM

I love them so much! I cut them up and roast them for a meal anytime I don't have to feed other people.

My favorite recipes using sweet potatoes are:
Sausage Potato Soup (I mix sweet potatoes with regular potatoes.)
Mexican Chicken Sweet Potato Skiller
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili

nietis 10-12-2023 07:32 AM

We love them in our home here.
The most common ways to cook them here are roasted and fried. They are such a comfort food during winter and so affordable here. I always love it when Lan brought some roasted ones home from his University's canteen. :)

nietis 10-12-2023 07:32 AM

We love them in our home here.
The most common ways to cook them here are roasted and fried. They are such a comfort food during winter and so affordable here. I always love it when Lan brought some roasted ones home from his University's canteen. :)

nesser1981 10-12-2023 08:44 AM

I love them, but Sweet Potato Casserole is the only way I can get anyone else here to eat them.

I love the fries, baked, roasted.

YepBrook 10-12-2023 09:09 AM

I’m a fan! Baked and stuffed with butter and cinnamon… mmmm. I also love them sliced and roasted with garam masala or Cajun seasoning. Delish!

KristinCB 10-12-2023 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nietis (Post 1063151826)
They are such a comfort food during winter

Comfort food for me too! I like having a hard-boiled egg and some sweet potato together for lunch. :wub:

allyanne 10-12-2023 11:20 AM

I like them! I like them in a breakfast hash with eggs, bacon and other goodies. Or just baked and eaten with lots of butter and cinnamon. I also like to stuff them with other toppings, like chili or buffalo chicken. So yum!

laurabobaura 10-12-2023 11:57 AM

yessssssss yum

craftytam 10-12-2023 01:19 PM

Honestly, I had never really tried sweet potatoes until a few years ago. I've had sweet potato fries and sweet potato tots. They were both delicious! I don't think I've had them any other way.

jacinda 10-12-2023 01:48 PM

Sweet potato is primarily known as kumara in New Zealand. I actually don't think anyone would know it as sweet potato - even I had to google it to be sure. I love kumara and so does my older daughter, but my husband and younger daughter aren't so keen on it. The most common way we cook it in our house is just to cut it up into small cubes and roast it. Kumara chips (fries)are nice too.

Robin Carlton 10-12-2023 02:07 PM

Baked or Candied... absolutely.

Sweet Potato Fries... gross.

craftytam 10-12-2023 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Carlton (Post 1063151868)
Baked or Candied... absolutely.

Sweet Potato Fries... gross.

LOL! They're actually really good :)

rach3975 10-12-2023 08:18 PM

We're split in my house. 2 of the teens and I love them, and DH and my oldest hate them. We like them as sweet potato fries (real fries at a restaurant or the homemade baked version), baked with butter and cinnamon, and cooked into bread or muffins (which tastes a lot like pumpkin bread). I also like them topped with beans, roasted veggies, sour cream, lettuce, and salsa or guacamole, but I suspect other people will find that one strange!

nietis 10-12-2023 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1063151846)
Comfort food for me too! I like having a hard-boiled egg and some sweet potato together for lunch. :wub:

YUM! I am drooling now... :thumbup:

stephc777 10-12-2023 09:16 PM

My daughter told me she had a sweet potato breakfast hash at a friends house. Do you mind sharing how you would make something like that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by allyanne (Post 1063151847)
I like them! I like them in a breakfast hash with eggs, bacon and other goodies. Or just baked and eaten with lots of butter and cinnamon. I also like to stuff them with other toppings, like chili or buffalo chicken. So yum!

TraceyM 10-12-2023 10:58 PM

Hubby and I are both fans. We use them many ways. The simplest is to first bake the sweet potatoes, cut open and add a bit or butter or olive oil, salt, and a teaspoon or so of lemon juice - try this - its great - the lemon juice cuts the sweetness a bit. I have also been a fan of putting a big spoon of greek yogurt in - this also balances out the sweetness. I have served them for diner with some chili or roasted veggies spooned over. And of course, peeled, chopped into squares and roasted at 400 for about 20 minutes (be sure to ad a little olive oil over them and salt before the oven)

lovely1m 10-14-2023 12:58 PM

I love them and so does my family but I literally never make them. I don't know why. lol

LJSDesigns 10-14-2023 04:56 PM

I love sweet potatoes, but am not a fan of regular potatoes. To me the regular ones are "gloopy" and thick. However, every once in a while I will get a craving for the regular ones and eat them. Then I don't touch them for years. LOL

My usual way of eating a sweet potato is to microwave it and then add some butter, salt and pepper. I also put them in the dog's food when I make it and they love them too.