View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you mean a virtual school? My kids are enrolled in one right now and we hate it! Now, that's not to say that it's bad. It's actually a good program, it was just presented to us as something totally different than what it actually is. My best advice is to research, research, research. See what's offered in your area. Can you do it independently or is it a charter program (ours is charter and that's part of the issue.) If it is a charter, what's required of YOU as the parent? Are you the teacher or will the charter program teachers actually teach classes. (Ours do not, they do the occasional enrichment class, but that's all.) What curriculum does the school use? (Ours provides either Calvert or K12 at the elementary level, there are others who offer different options.) Is the curriculum received based on ability or age? If ability, how might that effect your son if you need to put him back into a regular school the next year. My older son will be behind in math by two years because the public schools here refuse to educate by ability--he's supposed to be in 6th next year, by God he will be in 6th next year is their attitude. So, in essence, charter programs can be great and they can suck. Your mileage may vary. Obviously, if you do it independently, you're solely responsible for all instruction and tracking, whatever your state requires.