Thread: Fibromyalgia
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

In all honesty, I would seek a second opinion from another rheumatologist. A thorough rheumatology visit (especially given your family history of auto-immune disorders) would usually lead the rheumatologist to run some tests at least.

Like Melissa mentioned above, it is sometimes given when they do not know what else is wrong. Fibromyalgia is considered a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that they have ruled out everything else that could have been wrong before they SHOULD give the diagnosis. There are some pressure point tests that assist them with the diagnosis but your bloodwork and test results for other conditions should come back clean before you are 100% given the diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

I'm also interested in what recommendations the rheum. gave you in terms of treatment options. Some more holistic-minded physicians and treatment providers claim a link between wheat sensitivities (or gluten intolerance) to fibromyalgia. Additionally, while they will typically prescribe medication to assist with the pain, almost always exercise is prescribed rather than becoming more sedentary.

If you have not done so already, I would recommend keeping a detailed activity and food log for a week. Write down each hour what you do and what you eat and then record when your pain starts to flare and where the pain is. It might help you find some patterns or triggers that you can avoid.

Best of luck!