View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriebug66 View Post
I so disagree. While the world can be a dark, dismal place, there are always good people and hope for humanity. Each child born into this world is proof of God's love and His hope for us all. And despite the many things wrong with our country, we are still one of the greatest countries on this planet. We represent that hope in so many ways. I think it is even more important in the dark times to remember that.

I think she went wrong in the end with the book and maybe it was because she was trying to convey a bigger message but I think she failed in that respect as well. That much grief, anger, hatred is too overwhelming to convey much except grief, anger and hatred.
Haha I was writing that as if I were a cynical Suzanne Collins. I totally agree with you, and that's why I didn't know how I felt about Mockingjay. She had built up the hope that I kept holding onto throughout all of the horrible things going on, and then ... I was disappointed. Things didn't really seem that much better, in the end. I was so grateful for our country and felt extra patriotic after reading The Hunger Games trilogy because we do still have that Hope that seemed to be shattered in Mockingjay. I felt like in the end, they were just settling. There was no closure, and things were only marginally better. Almost like there was no "good" side. They all had flaws. Maybe I'm simplistic, but I feel like the purpose of hero fiction (especially Young Adult) is to be able to escape from the cynicism of reality and have good overcome evil in the end, and it just didn't feel that way. The heroes can be flawed, but there shouldn't be so much settling. There should be triumph, and joy. Yes, there can be death and destruction, and disappointment, but in the end things should be good. And that's why I was disappointed. I mean, Harry Potter ended with even Hedwig dying, but none of it was in vain, YKWIM? In the end, good triumphed over evil, and the heroes definitely won.

I totally need to reread this series, after I finish the Ember series. I actually lent the Hunger Games to a friend who hasn't played me on words with friends for 2 days...I wonder what she's up to.