View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
We are in the country, and have no neighbors closer than 1/4 mile away, so no one would walk away with a cat that got out. I just didn't know how they'd do with the sun and such. We will have to think about it. Our female cats don't even TRY to go out. They have no desire. Our old male no longer goes out either. The two younger males go out all the time though and it would be hard to keep them in (and there is no way we'd be able to do sunscreen every day for a cat that darts outside). Declan wants a bengal as well. I don't know much about them either. We have never purchased one of our cats either, so that is something we have to consider because I'd rather adopt one that needs a home... but certain breeds are rarely available for adoption.

Back to gifts.... my 17 year old wants her nose pierced. I don't know that I want to do that for Christmas though... I want mine done as well, but I don't see anyone gifting it to me. LOL
I used this website for a few years, trying to get in line to adopt a bengal and a hairless cat
https://www.rescueme.org/

Depending on where you are located, if you fill out all the documentation, you can be considered to foster to own a bengal that has been given up for adoption or needs fostering until finding placement. We had filled out all the necessary documents and almost got a bengal before through them, and then we had our realtor's bengal fall in our lap
https://www.greatlakesbengalrescue.com/

Bengals are A LOT of work - thats an understatement. They are VERY smart and get bored VERY quickly. They need a lot of interaction and exercise to keep them from causing trouble in your house (ie: spraying, potty issues, etc). They don't do well with change and often act out. A lot of bengal owners have outdoor catios because bengals do like being outside.
https://catiospaces.com/catios-cat-e...r-inspiration/

However with them being outside, if they are just left out, they will run and go back to their natural habitat and might not ever come back home. When we lived in CO, one of the neighbor let their bengal out. The second time, the bengal never came home and was later found by the humane society on the other side of town (a good 30-minute drive!) So they do run and roam if left outside unattended.

Bengal kitties don't like sharing cat litter with other animals and often will have potty accidents if the litter is dirty--like at all!
Another thing, Bengals don't drink a lot of water and often get a lot of UTI's, which also causes a lot of potty accidents.
Feliaway is an amazing product for Bengals. it will be your best friend!

They are a handful, but if you go in to the knowledge about them, it's really not that difficult. Join a few bengal pages, do some research. Most importantly, check out the laws of the bengal grading allowed in your area. Some bengals grades are banned from certain cities!

Oh and because bengals are ACTIVE cats, they sometimes have a some broken legs and what not. I'd never own a bengal without having insurance! My realtor ended up getting a second bengal and within the first month of owning the bengal, she jumped from the second story to the first floor (down the stairs) and broke her back leg. She didn't have insurance on that cat and paid over $5000 for the surgery to fix the cat. Insurance is a must (at least I think) with bengals or you will be paying out of the nose if yours happens to take a leap and misses.

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 11-10-2019 at 09:41 PM.