View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I keep my photos & my kits super-organized so I can open up both folders & see immediately what I have.

My original photos are all stored chronologically. I have a separate folder entitled "To Make" with chronological folders. I'm caught up through 2016 so I have "2017," "2018," & "2019" in this big folder. Inside those folders are subfolders with copies of the photos I want to scrap sorted by month and event/moment e.g. "03-Dad's Birthday Party," etc.

My kits are sorted into a "00-CT" folder (and stored on my hard drive) for CT layouts I need to make and a much larger "00-To Be Used" folder on my EHD (where all my supplies, photos, & layouts are stored). I can browse through all my "To Make" photos whenever I download a new kit and see if it will work with anything. If not, it goes into the "00-To Be Used" folder.

Every 4-6 weeks, I go through my "To Be Used" folder and my "To Make" folder and match up photos with kits. A matched photo folder + kit goes into a "To Scrap" folder nested under the "To Make" folder. The "To Scrap" folder is also organized by year and within these years are "Cute Photos" and "Important Stories."

It looks something like this:
EHD
>Product
>>To Make
>>>2017 (repeat folders for other years)
>>>>01-Event, 02-Event, etc.
>>>To Scrap
>>>>Cute Photos, Important Stories
>>>>>01-Event (with kit nested inside), etc.
>>To Be Used
>>>kits
>>Kits
>>>already used kits filed by designer (real) name

I also organize (and back up) my photos on Google Photos so when I know I have a photo of something but not sure the date or place, I can search for it on there with keywords or people tags and find it relatively quickly. It's not fool-proof but a lot easier than manually tagging and a lot faster than manually searching my EHD.

I know this sounds way over-the-top organized (and it is!) but I can spend less than 5 minutes on my EHD or on Google Photos and find what I want 95% of the time and know what kind of kits to buy and/or which have similar themes that need to be used up before I purchase something new.
This is AMAZING!! And I will probably have to take some pointers from your system and apply to mine!