Thread: Geocaching!
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So, it's our first 60 degree day since like September and I'm starting to think what we are going to do this summer... and also catching up on Switched at Birth on Netflix and they are talking about geocaching...

Now I know many of you have done this... so help! How do I get started? What do I need? Where/what kind of little trinkets do I get to put in the little boxes? Books.... apps...GPS... what do I need to know/get???
I'm totally hooked, lol. Actually grabbed 3 caches today. I still use the C:Geo app on my phone. I thought about getting an actual GPS, but honestly - I don't feel the need. Maybe just for battery time - being able to geocache ALL day instead of around 4 or 5 hours at most (until my phone dies). The app is free, so I didn't have to invest anything there.

I did upgrade to the premium membership last year on geocaching.com. Loved it because I could organize the list of caches based on when they were last found, the newest ones listed, etc. I find I'm more motivated to go find one when I can see the new ones listed or see what people are finding recently.

As for trinkets - just think small. A toy car, mcdonalds toy, a toy necklace, a pencil, key chain, a quarter or dime -- anything small and not expensive (these aren't very water tight often, and the elements can destroy stuff that inside). I usually head out with a back pack and a handful of items. And a pen - always need a pen lol.

It's so much fun - great exercise. Plus, you get to see some really neat sights & places that you might otherwise never know existed That's one of the rules of hiding them - to try and pick a place that has a unique story, means something to you, etc.