View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 08:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Mary, thank you for your post! I always use the full-page layout, and I've paid attention to the boundaries. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention. One time I submitted 7.95x7.95 photos, and I think it was worse as far as how much was cut off. I'm guessing I just don't understand bleed. The thing is that the gutter side is always cut off a lot, because it is all in the binding. If I have a half-inch border all the way around, most of the gutter side is in the gutter.

I decided to measure a book. The pages are 7.75 inches high and 7.5 inches wide - the other .25 inch is the binding. The hard cover is 8 x 8, and 3/8" of the width is the binding. Therein lies one big problem - we don't get a square page.

I just measured the one softcover 8x8 book I got at Persnickety Prints. The book (and pages) are 8.125 x 8.125, with only about 1/8" gutter. The big difference is that the part that is cut off is actually the side opposite the gutter - about 1/4"!

Maybe I need to quit my job as a paralegal and open up a store that addresses all our needs. LOL