View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbella77 View Post
My hubby was homeschooled and his mom did it just like public school from like 8-3 everyday. Very structured and organized. I can't do that. I love the flexibility of home schooling!
This makes me shiver down my spine. What. Is. The. Point!? Ugh... I have no idea why some homeschoolers do this.

Adi, I would say go with your gut. I do school for Grace in about 1 1/2 hours a day... and I do have official 'curriculum' but that's only because I do better with a schedule and guideline for what to do when. It keeps me accountable to giving her a variety of schoolwork, not just the stuff that's easy for me. I am way too easily disctracted to do my own planning and stuff. I can tell when she is grasping something and I have no problem skipping stuff... because like Kelley said, before grade 2 they are sponges and they learn A LOT through play & exploration. I try not to sweat it.

I don't know if you do this, but one of the most simple school activities we do is singing. We have a few videos that we watched on YouTube when Ben was in Kindergarten that taught us songs for months of the year, days of the week, short vowel sounds, etc. YouTube is packed with educational songs! And our curriculum comes with a set of alphabet cards that we sing through every day... it's the A-A-Apple song. SO incredibly helpful for learning to read by phonics. Here's a video of Grace doing it:

Grace Sings A-A-Apple Song