View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are so many words/language that bother me.....a lot within the disability/accessibility space. A lot of the time it comes from misunderstanding or the fact society has evolved. The word or phrase that bothered me the most was a government benefit name that I was receiving as a person with a long term disability or health need. Pre mid 2013, it was known as “invalids benefit” which I hated.....just because I have a disability or long term health condition doesn’t make me invalid automatically. In actual fact for a portion of that time I was actually working very part time and or studying either part time or full time. The government support payment is now known as “supported living payment” which at least in name only is a far far more positive way of framing the concept. With the name change, while I hate that I’m still receiving it 10+ years down the track I at least am able to say that I’m ok with the name of it.

It really shows the power of words and overall language when it comes to certain “taboo” subjects.....it can be as simple as using people first language. Rather than using “disabled person” change it to be “person with a disability” or removing the idea that people with disabilities “suffer”.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv