View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do you have any? I am convinced that a house isn't a home without a couple 4-legged furry ones running around! We have small "companion" dogs, and love the mix you get when you combine Yorkshire Terrier with Maltese. Morkies are smart like Yorkies, but with the people-pleasing personality of the Maltese to smooth out the Yorkie's stubborn streak. Right now, we have Maggie (8 years old, apricot, more of the terrier look) and Charlie (10 months old, white, floofy). My stepdaughter has a 1 year old Yorkie, Archie, who visits us a couple times a year and rounds out our pack.

Maggie:

Charlie:

Archie:

Did you in the past? I had a cat as a kid, but dogs are a much better fit for what I want in a companion animal. We lost our sweet boy, Jack-Jack, last April after a long fight with kidney failure from a Leptospirosis infection. He was a black Morkie, and was just shy of 10 years old when he died. Before him, we rescued Eddie, a Yorkie mixed with dachshund, we think, which made him a Dorkie. And given his personality, that's a pretty accurate moniker. He was with us from 2006-2012, and we think he was just shy of 8 years old when he died.

Jack-Jack:

Eddie:

Any pet you'd love to have (but never will)? A hippopotamus. A panda bear. An otter.

Do you look in pet stores/online at pets? I avoid pet stores since they generally deal with puppy mills. When it's time for us to add a new dog to our home, I go to a reputable breeder our family's been working with for over a decade. But I have an Instagram account for my dogs (@thekeymorkies) and that feed is FULL of adorable dogs! I could spend hours looking through https://www.instagram.com/norbertthedog/

BTW, people who rescue dogs are angels, and they do important work! For our home, and our lives, we've found our best fit involves raising them from puppies. That way, the only neuroses they have are the ones we give them!