View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm
Default August 2010: Scrapper's Portfolio & Tracker

Hey Hey Sweet Shoppers!!

Another month is upon us, and I can hardly believe it, but once we're done with this month's exciting and inspiring portfolios, there will just be 4 months left of 2010! Where is the time flying off to I ask you?! All of us here hope that you're making lots of sweet memories with every passing day, and even more so that our monthly portfolios are helping you get those memories scrapped! We know you're eager to get started on this month's portfolio, so let's get to it...

For ease of reference, we've created a printable checklist of this month's portfolio. Click the link below to download and print!

As always, you MUST use primarily Sweet Shoppe products to complete your challenge layouts.

August 2010: Sweet Shoppe Scrapper's Portfolio

One Point Tasks - 20 Primary Points Possible

1 - Lift a layout by Sasha Bliss, our Treat of the Month for August, and get to know her better in this month's special feature.

2 - Tilt It! Rotate the composition on your page so it sits at an angle.

3 - Use "text-talk" for the titling & journaling on a page... will you be able to read it in 20 years?

4 - Madonna's birthday is on the 16th! Scrap a page inspired by the music icon.

5 - There's a Friday the 13th in August! Scrap something you're superstitious about.

6 - August looks like... Take a photo looking out your front door or a window, standing on your driveway or front porch or even what your kids are wearing today and scrap it! You'll see this challenge again and again throughout 2010, so choose a spot or subject which will illustrate the passage of time or seasons changing in an easy to capture photo.

7 - Two of You: create a page with the same photo used at least twice.

8 - The August A list - scrap a layout using a one word title that begins with the letter A.

9 - Seeing things from different point of view. Journal from the point of view of someone or something other than yourself (your pet/your car/your favorite pair of jeans....) and scrap it!

10 - My front porch looking in - scrap your house from the outside looking in.

11 - Recipe: 8th month, 31 days in august, 2010. Scrap a layout with 8 buttons, 3 stars or flowers, 1 stitch, 2 ribbons, 1 metal fastener and 10 circles or squares (can mix shapes).

12 - The stars of The Suite Life of Zack & Cody turn 17 on August 4th and Joe Jonas turns 20 on the 15th. Scrap your child's pre-teen love or if you're brave, your own.

13 - Paper 2 Digi - Gumpgirl

14 - Use the inspiration at Robert Ryan to create a layout which features no more than 3 bold contrasting colors on the page.

15 - Summer Lovin' happened so fast - what did you fall in love with this summer?

16 - What's your number? Scrap a layout with a number in the title!

17 - Pick out a photo or two, then set your timer for 30 minutes and scrap. See what kind of page you can create in half an hour, and finished or not share it with us when the timer goes off. No cheating!

18 - Back To School is quickly approaching and that means one of the biggest shopping events of the year is upon us. Books, clothes, school supplies, backpacks, lunch boxes and more - whatever excites you the most - scrap it!

19 - Tag You're It! Use tags in abundance on a layout.

20 - Use "______ of the Year" (Mom, Baker, Daredevil, etc.) as the title on a layout and go all out telling the story about why the title is perfect for you or a loved one.

Two Point Tasks - 20 Primary Points Possible

21 - "I want you to know...." - create a layout with thought-provoking journaling that includes and finishes this statement. Thanks to Jaclyn Bernardo for the inspiring idea!

22 - August is 'Admit You're Happy' month which is a layout and a story in itself.

23 - We love these 20 great stitched Panorama examples on the Digital Photography Schools website. Use these 8 Guidelines to taking Panoramic Photos and this how-to on creating a panorama with Photoshop and Photomerge to take and create a panoramic photo to use on a layout.

24 - “Wherever we are, it is our friends that make our world.” - Henry Drummond

Scrap a layout about the friendships which mean the most to you.

25 - Keeping cool - scrap a page about something that makes you or someone you know super cool!

26 - The Perseid meteor showers peak in mid August, and you'll likely see them light up the night sky. Scrap a page about what you might wish for.

27 - Use the inspiration at the fabulous blog 5 questions as inspiration to interview and scrap 5 questions about someone you love.

28 - Bad Hair Day - what little things throw you off your daily game? No coffee? Kids sniping at one another? Other half not picking up his laundry again, or worse, not rinsing the sink after shaving (ugh)? Let it all out and tell us all about it.

29 - Book Cover Challenge - Pick a book and use the design on the cover as inspiration to scrap a page. Don't forget to share the original cover you used as inspiration when you post this one in your portfolio!

30 - The Ultimate Paper Challenge - Scrap two different layouts - 1 which has 5 papers but NO patterns and 1 with 5 papers but NO solids!

Five Point Tasks - 10 Primary Points Possible

31 - The King of Rock-N-Roll died on August 16, 1977. Use his song titles as inspiration to create three layouts to earn 5 points.

32 - Book of Me 2010 - this year SSD is encouraging you to create a Book of Me Album! So often we focus on scrapping everyone else in our lives, but we're challenging you to record more of who YOU are on a regular basis throughout the year too. Pick 3 of the 5 topics below and scrap 3 layouts to earn 5 points:

32a - My computer would tell you that I...
32b - My dream job would be...
32c - My celebrity crush is...
32d - If I could change one thing...
32e - I'm saving money to...

Ten Point Task - 10 Primary Points Possible

33 - Shaped Mini Albums - think outside the box for this month's mini album hybrid challenge and create a uniquely shaped album that's at least 5 double sided pages. Birds, butterflies, hearts, ice cream cones, mittens, surfboards, and more - the sky is the limit for this month's mini memory keeper. Don't skip this challenge because you're afraid of hybrid - you can do it! Here's some amazing inspiration...

Snow Mitten Mini Album by Andrea Gourley
Bracket Album by Cathy
Transportation Tag Album by Jen Tapler
Bird Album by Susan Bartolini

No squares, rectangles or circles for this month's challenge.

Flex Tip - Be Creative! If the challenge is asking for a TOP 10 of your favorite TV shows, feel free to scrap your husband's or child's favorite shows instead! If it's asking a question, feel free to ask the question of a loved one and scrap a page for them instead. The only time this wouldn't apply is to your Book of Me album which should be a stunning tribute to YOU!

DON'T FORGET! As you complete layouts for our challenges, you'll be tracking them yourself in one post that you'll update throughout the month. For August, all layouts and points need to be posted by 11:59pm EST at the end of the day on September 1st. If you're joining us for the first time this month, have a look at the amazing portfolio tracker thread from the first half of 2010 to see how it's done!

1) Post to claim your tracker spot for the month.
2) When you finish a layout for a challenge, upload it to the gallery and right click to get the image information for your layout.
3) Return to your tracker spot you claimed in this thread, and click edit to add the image of your layout to your portfolio. You'll want to add your layout in order of the numbered list above and include that number and the points earned above your image.
4) At the very end of your portfolio, please keep a running tally of the total points earned to date.

PLEASE NOTE: Portfolio points may NOT be carried over into the following month as each month begins anew with a fresh set of inspiring challenges! Additionally, you may NOT use the same layout for more than one numbered task - each task requires a new layout.

Please don't post chatter or comments in this thread as we'd like to keep it clean and easy to check at the end of the month. If you want to give praise to your favorite prompts or layouts, feel free to chatter as much as you like in our General Info & Chatter Forum. Thanks!!

Here's to heating up your scrapping for the Summer,

Robin