View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmom View Post
The saddest thing is that for most of us living in the US, we are only one medical emergency away from bankruptcy/completely ruining our lives if we DON'T carry health insurance. It IS the what-ifs that we all have to carry insurance for. Premiums are costly, but I'll gladly pay - we've had our medical emergency! My son got meningitis a few years back and his 2-week stay in the hospital was around $200,000. I have no idea what we would've done if we didn't have insurance!
I remember when I was pregnant with my first born, I was visiting some trimester forums and there was an enormous thread of US-based women talking about how to cope in labour without an epidural -- not for health reasons, but because they couldn't afford them. It was shocking and eye-opening to me. I remember one woman in particular saying she went bankrupt from her first c-section and desparately needed to avoid another. I can't imagine having medical costs foremost in the mind during pregnancy and labour! (So very thankful for universal health care coverage!)