Thread: How many homes?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In my Adult life, we've moved 8 times (it was almost 9 last year) so on average every 2.5 years, though we've lived in some places longer. My oldest son has been through every single move... the hardest one was definitely after he had started school and had to leave his friends Thankfully, through all our moves since then I have been able to keep them in the same school and haven't had to put him or the others through that heartache again. Our current home is temporary (even though we've been here going on 5 years), so there will be at least 1 more in our future (but realistically I'm sure it will be more). I often go in a depression funk with the thought that one of my kids will only be under our roof 1 more year and I have never been able to give him a permanent place to call home and to be able to return to any time..... but there's not much i can do about it, so I just make the best of the situation we are in, and focus on giving / sharing happy memories.

When I was a kid we moved once.... from the US to Canada (fun fact, it was to the house we are currently staying in now). I love it here, however, I have always felt an emptiness in my heart that I wasn't where I belonged, and have always wanted to return 'home'..... but one of my big regrets in life was that I never got to be one of the kids who grew up close to my family (grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles etc), so I never got the chance to get to know them, so I refuse to do that to my kids.... maybe someday I'll get to go 'home', but certainly not until the kids are grown, and definitely not permanently as I'll want to be back for when they start their own families.

I realize this was probably a downer response, so I will end this on a positive note.... I LOVE moving! It is the fastest and best way to clean and declutter my home! It's the best time to get rid of the trash, and donate the stuff I don't need, and don't get me started on how much I enjoy setting up and organizing a new space!! There's always a bright side to everything