View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 01:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I love words. I think there is so much power in the written and spoken word and when they are put together well, it is a beautiful thing. Having said that, there is one word that I just don't like. It's not a bad word in any way, but it just peeves me off and that word is deserve.

I guess I just don't agree with the concept that people deserve or don't deserve things. I think people work for things and they earn them and I think bad things happen to everyone at different times and have nothing to do with anything we did or didn't do. I know it is just semantics, but there is a sense of entitlement to the word deserve that just grates on my nerves.

Do you have a regular word that just gets to you for some reason? If so, I would love to hear about it. Honestly, I want to believe that I am not the only person out there who has a strong dislike for what is a commonly used, and relatively harmless, word.
What about: He worked so hard to get that A. He deserved it.
Is the word still bothering you then?

I have a few words I don't like to say but not really because of the meaning. I hate underwear being called skibs (I don't even know how to spell it). I don't like the words sleuth/sleuthing, nickers (like the horse does)... I know there are others but I can't remember them now.