View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 12:38 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I have one! It's "curvy" as a polite synonym for plus size. It bugs me to no end.

First, I think it's just confusing. I'm overweight but not curvy--I have a very straight build. So when clothing designers and stores use the word curvy, are they trying to say plus size or do they mean shaped for people with an hourglass figure? When you're shopping online, there's a big difference between the two. A few years ago curvy always meant the latter, but now there's no way to know.

Second, it would be wonderful if body size was a neutral and held no judgements, but we all know that's not reality. I can't help but wonder what using "curvy" like this is doing to the body image of teens and young adults who have a body type that is legitimately curvy (not overweight).
It's funny because I really dislike plus size. I'm 6ft tall and my family are curvy LOL, we have boobs and butts and the occasional tummy. We are built. I dislike the idea of plus - because what does plus size mean? If I wear a 16 because my genetics mean my butt and boobs are NEVER fitting in a size 10 why am I plus anything? I hear you re: curvy, but like everything it's contextual right?