View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Sorry, this is long!
I am working on a master's and then my PhD. as well as being a TA for a stats class at the moment and can completely understand.

Here is the advice I give my students:
1. Get to know your professors or ask other students about the structure of the courses you are taking. If they have had the same prof, ask if they have reviews that helped them succeed and if they would be willing to share with you. I share reviews so that I get them in return! Ask what the tests were like!
2. I am not sure what your previous study habits are like, but the time commitment you will need to set aside each week is demanding. On average, a 3 hour course will demand 6-9 hours a week from you. I find the best way for students to stay caught up is to create reviews each week that can be used to study for the exams.

3. If you have any questions about the material, ask immediately before new concepts are introduced. This is really important as concepts build throughout the semester.

4. Begin to study for exams at least 8 days in advance. I know this sounds weird, but it helps. By studying ahead, you can focus on the concepts for shorter periods of time and with greater frequency. For example, I study for 20-30 minutes at a time, 5-6 times a day for 5-6 days. When I get to the 2 days before the exam, I have a pretty good grasp of the material and looking at the review only requires 10-15 minutes each day. I don't bother looking at it the day of the exam...I either know it or I don't at that point. There is research on this method of studying that indicates it is beneficial, our brains cannot remember the material that we see in the middle of those long study periods as well as the first/last few minutes of material we review.

5. lastly, get a group to help you study! Research supports the group study dynamic. You may not understand the way a concept was presented in class but your friend may be able to talk you through it in a different way.

Hang in there! Go and ask your prof for help if you need it... then enjoy your holiday!

By they way...which university in Sing?