View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm American too. And my kids, especially my son, use the t.v. and computer a lot. They do other things though, because I don't impose limits. Also, I think of all the learning that happens from watching movies and the games they play. My son learned to read primarily from the computer games he was choosing to play at that time, for one example, such as Roblox and Scribblenauts.

I was a good student, but school took up so much time and energy I didn't have much left for studying my own interests until I was an adult. One piece of advice I heard early on, when I was just beginning this homeschooling journey, is, "There are no educational emergencies." Meaning, it's never too late to learn something. If you want to let Eden explore her interests and get excited about something, maybe drop school for the next 6 months, at least, and let her explore. Make suggestions, offer things, but let her choose. Not studying math or whatever for a year won't hurt anyone; they can always pick it up again later if they need to.

In Virginia we have just two requirements. 1. Notify the school district we're going to homeschool. 2. Submit some kind of annual evaluation. We just take a simple standardized test to jump through that hoop and don't worry much about it.