View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been gone from the forums for quite a while, and am so happy to see the homeschool chatter thread!!

I homeschool my 7th, 6th, 4th, 2nd, and 1st graders. We are very eclectic. I have toyed with the idea of unschooling as well, and we do that some even though I know then it is not really unschooling. I guess I just feel like if I did it full on, they would just choose to play on the PS3, tablets, and watch youtube all.day.long. I also want them to have some discipline and know that everyone has to be able to do some things they don't want to do in life, right? At this point we have some structured stuff, and then after they do those things they are allowed to choose whatever they want to do excluding video games (they can do exercise games though) or TV watching (unless I put something on).

We use Sonlight as our basis though I don't stick to it rigidly. The kids all really like computer learning, so they each have 1 hr of school time daily on the computer to do xtramath.com, IXL, typing practice, Music ace, and whatever else they want to do. Aside from that we have a pretty eclectic blend of curriculum...Life of Fred math is a fave of all the kids except one who does Teaching Textbooks because she prefers it.

Anyway! This week is going decent so far. Today we had a little too much chatting going on during quiet work time (happens often!).