Thread: OLW for 2022
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 07:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I kind of think of OLW as an alternative to NY resolutions, a broad theme that you want to work on rather than actions (ie, I'll go to the gym). I do terrible with resolutions (weeks at best--I need to make changes when I'm motivated, not when we change the calendar). I've never made it a full year with OLW, but I still like the idea of choosing a word and living with it for a few months.

I know what I want my word to reflect, but I'm still choosing the specific word. I was thinking "opportunities" or "growth" but neither one feels quite right. There are going to be a lot of changes in my life this year. My oldest will be leaving for college and I'm going to be leaving something that has been a major part of my life for 15+ years. (Vague, I know. But I haven't told the people who need to know yet, and just in case anyone connected happens to be part of the SSD community...) The changes are all for great reasons and new opportunities, but I hate major changes and need to keep reminding myself of the positives that will come from them. Lorie, your idea of using "positive" is speaking to me more than "opportunities" or "growth."

As for mindful vs. positive, I like the idea of a fresh start with positive. Being unhappy at work (or anyplace you spend a significant amount of time) can spill over into all parts of your life. Positive can also cover the health changes you mentioned, since you're doing things that are positive for your body or mind.