View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 03:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lorie it is never an easy decision to make, sending big hugs your way. As someone who has been owned by different dogs over many years, I can tell you it never gets easier.

When my Gilly was 13 and not doing well I had 'the talk' with the vet and he put it so eloquently and referred to my boy as 'vintage' rather than old, with his kind blue eyes and soft-spoken voice Dr. Steve said to me 'Gilly will let you know when it's time to let him go.' I profusely denied this stating I was selfish and would keep him until he passed on his own. Again, gentle Dr. Steve said 'unfortunately many times our beloved pets do not go on their own, they hang on because they know you need them, we have to give them permission.' Denial stayed with me as I loved that stubborn 'vintage' boy who had a legitimate reason for not listening to me now as he was deaf. One night laying in bed I went to the end where he always slept and look him in the eyes and asked him if it was 'time'. . . .he looked at me thumped his tail and licked my nose. I burst into tears but made the appointment the next day. A few days later I almost cancelled that appointment as the morning of he was like his old self again but I had a feeling he knew. Hard but I know it was the right thing to do as his body was giving up, he had lost 20 pounds and was throwing up what little he did eat and even drinking caused huge coughing spasms. My powerful 75 lb boy was only 55 lbs when I let him go.

Sorry for the novel but it was the only way I could explain my experience. After all that, there is no easy answer, do what your heart tells you and take your cue from your little guy, he will let you know.