View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 12:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
One thing that makes me nervous is social media. Right now I'm on several designers creative teams, but their teams are in Facebook Groups. While I understand it's easier to maintain FB Groups, sometimes I feel it sharing too much of my identity. Right now, I'll "friend" said designer, have them add me to their group, and then quickly "unfriend" them as I keep my friends list just to family and friends (mostly people I've met, grown up with, etc.) Social Media is kind of infringing on my privacy as I've tried for so many years to keep my identity safe.
I think it's also getting a lot thornier now that so many people are connecting all of their social media accounts to Facebook (by using their Facebook login to register for other sites). I'm like you and keep those things separate--Facebook is for real life family and friends. Instagram is for scrapping and scrap friends, so I limit my identifying information there at least as much as I do here. But in the last week or so, Instagram has been showing me people I know in real life and asking if I want to follow them. I'm guessing that those people shared their FB friends list with IG, but it makes me very uncomfortable. I'm hoping they aren't being shown my information since I didn't give permission; that seems to be the case since none of my real life contacts has followed me on IG. But I'm considering setting up a dummy email address to use for IG so that they can't link me to FB contacts. (Neither of the sites has the email address I give friends and family, but they do have the same one because I don't want FB emails in my main email inbox.)