View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 03:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
Since we're active duty military we tend to just explore the area around where we're currently stationed. We drive A LOT b/c like you said, flying is just ouch. If all goes as planned we are going to Europe next summer, and I've been to most of the places we're going to, though not all, but I can repeat those b/c 1. It's Europe! and 2. for my girls to experience for their first time!
Same here, our vacations are really influenced by where we're stationed. We very rarely revisit a place (although my son did go to France 3 times by the time he was 27 months old when we were stationed in England!) When we were in Turkmenistan, we went to Thailand, Sri Lanka & UAE, and also a trip "home" during the summer. Now we're in Alaska & we most likely won't go visit our family back home while we're here because it would be crazy to leave Alaska in the summer. And almost as crazy to leave in winter to go to another wintery place. We'll be going to Hawaii in December...and maybe again in February but a different island. We're really hoping that our next assignment will take us back to Europe because now our kids are an easier age to travel with and it was so easy to go to so many places. And also because if we don't get Europe or Japan, my husband will probably retire and I'm not ready for that, haha.

I love our lifestyle & we're so, so fortunate to have been able to live & travel in so many places, but I did see a friend's post about an annual extended family trip to the same place (they went when she was a kid & now she has kids & a grand-kid there too) and it seemed like such a warm fuzzy, fun thing to have as part of their family 'culture'.