View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up with only one grandparent in the picture, my grandma who raised me. I called her Mom most of the time. If it was something besides Mom (like when my mother was around and I needed to differentiate) it was Gram or Grandma, the same as the rest of the grandkids called her. When my kids came along, she became Grandma Great.

My husband called my grandma 'Grandmom'. His grandmas were Nana and Nannie. His grandfathers were gone before I met him, I don't know what he called them.

My kids' grandparents on my husband's side are both MomMom and PopPop. We differentiate by using the first name, except for one MomMom who goes by MomMom Pumpkin. On my side there is only my mother. She goes by Grandma Bonnie. The kicker is that her name is Cheryl. LOL When she moved close to us when my daughter was little she had 3 ferrets. One of them was named Bonnie, and that was the sweet one that let my daughter hold and pet it. My daughter would ask to go see Grandma Bonnie when she wanted to see either my mom, the ferret or both. It stuck. She doesn't love it, but my kids are 11 and almost 15 now (2 more days!) and they still call her that.

Do people really decide what they want to be called, or does it just sort of happen? My inlaws already had grandchildren when my daughter came along and my kids just called them what their cousins do.