View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 04:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussemaus View Post
My problem is, I am trying to upcycle an old, really ugly, empty photo album I have laying around. It is the kind with permanently attached pages and that glossy paper type front. I hope that makes sense. I want to recover the front/back covers using printed digital products and decoupage, but I cannot figure out how to remove the glossy paper cover. It rips, just into tiny shreds. Is there any other way? Anybody have experience with this? Would the papers and decoupages just stick to the glossy covering anyway? Thanks for any help!
I think I know what you're talking about. If it's ripping into shreds as you try and remove the cover, then it's a glossy paper and not plastic, and you should be able to just decoupage right on top of it. The trick is going to be finding an adhesive that will stick to the gloss.

I've had great success using Modge Podge to decoupage on glossy surfaces. I don't know what's available for you there in Germany, but you may want to test a couple different adhesives until you find something that will stick well.

If all else fails, use a piece of fine-grit sandpaper to rough up the glossy paper cover before you cover it. That will give it a bit of "tooth" for the adhesive to grab onto.

Hope this helps!

PS: try searching with "how to upcycle glossy photo album cover" - I found some images that might assist.