View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 11:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
I don't want to put words in your mouth, Lorie, but it seems that you dislike how the word "deserve" has been misappropriated to mean "entitled." That's how I feel about the word, so maybe I'm just projecting my own feelings onto you. If so, I apologize!

The word "deserve" is defined as "to be worthy of" or "to have a just claim" (IOW: the RIGHT to something), but in normal conversation that isn't how it's being used. When I hear it, usually what people mean is "I want this and because of who I am [a man, a White person, a person in a position of power], then I should get it, no questions asked." I don't like that sense of entitlement and, on a personal level, I'm working not to act entitled and help those negatively impacted by the actions of those who think they "deserve" more than others.
No need to apologize because yeah, that is what gets to me, the sense of entitlement for the positive use of it.

For the negative, I guess I just think it is important to realize that there are bad things that happen to everyone that have nothing to do with who they are, their actions or anything else. They just happen and no one ever "deserves" them. No one.