View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Hazing/Initiation Rites

There's an awful video in the news this morning of a Colorado cheerleader being forced to do a split by her teammates and coach. It looks very painful and I guess her parent complained to the school and practically the whole administration has been put on administrative leave. And then there's also news about the changes Penn State has put into effect after the death of a student in drunken fraternity hazing.

I'm curious if anyone here has been "hazed"? What about more "fun" initiation rites? I guess it can be tricky to know where one person's "fun" becomes another person's "hazing."

My sister went to a very, very small Christian college that was housed in an old resort lodge. It was a super cool building and had a moose head on one of the walls over a huge fireplace. Every year, they would take the moose head down, slather its lips up with vaseline and "make" the freshmen kiss the moose. As far as I know, everyone just thought it was fun/funny but who can say what some kids really felt about it?

When I was pledging a co-ed fraternity, the pledges were expected (jokingly) to do menial tasks like getting people drinks or food from the kitchen or running to the phone closet to answer the phone (shows you how long ago this was!). It really was just harmless stuff to make you feel like you had "earned" the right to join -- at least in my mind.

So have you been hazed or been through any fun initiations?