View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only had one grandparent. I was raised by her so I alternated between calling her Mom and calling her Grandma. One of my brothers called her Grammadaddy (all one word) for a while because he felt cheated that he didn't have a dad. The other called her Ba-um. I can't even spell how he said it. The cousins called her Gram or Grandma.

My husband had a Nannie and a Nana. Their husbands had both passed before he met them so he called his step-grandpas by their first names.

Both of my husband's sets of parents chose to have my kids call them MomMom and PopPop. We attached their first name to each. MomMom Gail became MomMom Pumpkin at one point though. My children called their great grandmother's on my husband's side just what he called them.

My daughter called my grandma Grandma Great. She loved that so much! My children called my mom Grandma Bonnie. Her name is Cheryl. She had a ferret named Bonnie when my daughter was tiny and she called her that meaning the grandma with Bonnie. It stuck. After about 10 years of using that my mom blew up and said she hated it and why couldn't we use her name. We had no idea it bothered her before that. Now they call her Grandma but don't talk to her often.

I have 2 grandbabies (SOON TO BE THREE!! WE JUST FOUND OUT!!). There are a lot of grandparents in these babies' lives. Their mama is my stepdaughter. We learned of her just a few months before her oldest was born. She asked what we wanted to be called and my husband was quick to say Papa. I really had no idea. I thought about all the different grandparent names and then decided that Grandma was the one closest to my heart, since that is what I called my grandma and she was my best friend. So we are Grandma and Papa.