View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 08:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We don't really have many unusual or cutesy names in our family - just Grandpa Mike, Grandma Karen etc. On my side the same applied to great-grandparents while they were around but for some reason on my husband's side the great grandparents were called by their last names. I think I started that because I didn't know them well enough to call them by first names? I'm not really sure.

When my niece was little she couldn't say Grandpa so my step-dad became Puppa. She kind of led the way for all the babies that came after her.

My daughter was the first grandbaby on my husband's side so she was the trailblazer. My MIL wanted her to call her Mama Jo (her name is JoAnn) and being young that I was back then I was offended by that because I'm her mama/momma. Living across the country meant we didn't see each other often or have too many opportunities where it would have caused conflict or hurt feelings, thankfully, and Lainey herself started calling her Grandma Jo-Jo because she couldn't pronounce JoAnn. We think it's cute and it means more to her because Lainey gave it to her. My BILs kids just call her Grandma. He raises them so maybe a house full of boys wasn't into cutesy names? Who knows...