View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 12:50 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lholuska View Post
When people say things like "I don't understand why you don't just go to a doctor, maybe they can help you out", I remind them loudly of the Neuro From Hell.
We've got a few of those here where I live too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lholuska View Post
As far as I know, officially it was complications from the bone marrow transplant that killed her - but I still wonder if she'd been properly diagnosed sooner instead of doctors just shrugging their shoulders and going "I dunno" for 6 months, if she'd have survived.

By the way, I know some of you work in the medical field - trust that I know how hard your jobs are and respect you for the work you do. Like, my mom had some of the greatest nurses ever while she was fighting. But I've encountered some bad doctors, and I admit I'm still bitter and resentful about them in particular.
I'm so sorry about your mom. And you are so correct when you say working through issues with some doctors/nurses can be nerve-wracking at best and an experience from hell at worst.

My youngest daughter has all the issues, unfortunately. When she was 14 she was diagnosed with scoliosis, then at 15 she found out she was anaphylactic to carrots and allergic to almost every type of pollen/dust/nuts and more and had asthma (had no idea that cough she had was asthma!) (she now has weekly allergy shots) and then a year later she was diagnosed with myoclonic seizures - we thought the tremors and shaking and jerking had to do with her back and even her pediatrician was baffled. An EEG said otherwise. So that led us down the road to seizure meds. Some of them can make you have intrusive thoughts. They switched her meds and she lost 12 pounds in less than 2 weeks (and she's not a big girl - she was down to 95 pounds) and I couldn't get the doctor's office to return my phone calls to get help to switch her back to the original meds. VERY, VERY, long story short - finally got the nurse prac's nurse to talk to us, she talked to my daughter for 30 seconds at most, determined her to be suicidal and had us take her to the emergency room and told us they would help us get her back onto the original meds. Got to the ER and they locked us in a room, wouldn't believe anything we said, said that she could be having these thoughts on her own. Would not listen to me about the problems with the weight loss or anything else. Wouldn't let us leave. Finally told me they were going to transfer her to another hospital to regulate her meds (LIE) which we believed. Transferred her by ambulance at 3am and proceeded to take our phones and lock us in a room. Took my daughter from me and locked her up and didn't give her any meds...she started having seizures. They called me as they are not allowed to give any meds without my consent and wanted to give her the meds the were causing the intrusive thoughts. I had to hunt down her old neurologist to get him to contact the other doctors in the facility to give her old meds as the nurse practitioner that prescribed the meds that gave her those thoughts told me they could no longer help her. The only blessing that came out of this was I had a blood pressure monitor visit with my OBGYN a few days later and I fell apart telling her what we were going through and that I was trying to get her an appointment at Oshner's in NOLA. Come to find out my Dr. best friend is a neurologist. She text her what was going on and we had an appointment with her 24 hours later. They released her from the facility the next day with the diagnosis of Secondary depression due to medication. ABSOLUTELY DUH!!! I told them that. So now she's seeing a therapist because she has some minor PTSD from being taken from her home and locked up for a week. So the takeaway from this for us is...don't ever tell the doctor that prescribed you meds with the side effect of suicidal thoughts that you are having them...you might just find yourself locked in a psych ward without help. If I thought for one minute my daughter was actually suicidal I would have locked her up myself. I knew 100% it was the medication and that she just needed to be taken off of it. I also knew that with seizure meds you don't just quit them cold turkey and THAT IS WHAT THEY DID!!! The seizures were so bad they were going to transfer her to another hospital. An absolute horror story with all that. The therapist that she sees now is also horrified at what happened. And of course, we have the hospital bill for it all too.

So that's my short story of what happened. I'd still like to get 5 minutes alone with the doctor that locked up my daughter and wouldn't listen to me - but then I'd probably be wearing an orange jumpsuit somewhere.