View Single Post
Old 12-29-2022, 01:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I pick a word every year and just like you, I do better with some than with others. I am thinking about "focus" for this year. I've noticed that I am more scattered and distracted than ever, so improving my focus in all areas would be very helpful.
The word was super helpful for me this year. I chose it because I needed to buckle down, finish my last semester of college, pass my Praxis exams, find a teaching position, and then focus on how I can do my best for my students. I can't say I'm less distracted, but I do prioritize things a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I am leaning towards JOY this year.
To be intentional about finding the good and sparking delight.
I like JOY. I have considered it for my word nearly every year (and I have a canvas I made hanging up in my hallway that says joy) but I always go a different direction. It's kind of like my honorary secondary word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
I don't pick a word ...I think I tried one year.

I think consistent is a good word.
I'd think any of the "Note to Self" collabs from KCB and Studio Basic would allow you to scrap that in some form.
That's how I was with resolutions. I tried a time or two and gave up. The word helps me hone in on things. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I have probably chosen a word or two over the years but never really stuck to focusing on it.

After reading your post, the first word that came to me was “embrace” and I’m still thinking about it today, so maybe that’s my word!
2023 will bring a lot of changes- either “small” like moving to a new base, or big like my husband might retire from the military and we’ll move and start a new and unfamiliar chapter. After months of emotionally exhausting discussions, debates & speculation, shifting my focus to “accepting or supporting willingly and enthusiastically” would probably be healthy and I think it would be a beneficial word to focus on in everyday life as well.
Sounds like a lot of changes to embrace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I've picked a word off and on since 2014, I think. But, I've never really put much emphasis on it. This year I decided that I'm going to use my word to organize my goals around. I tend to be a thinker and less of a doer because I get overwhelmed.

My word this year is steps. So taking steps to reach my goals.
I am also more a thinker and less a doer. I have great ideas and I start things and then lose sight of them. That is why I've chosen consistent (or consistency) for myself this year. I need to stick with those things I start. Steps is a great word too, and I considered 'baby steps' but I want to stick to a word instead of a phrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I lost one of my best friends in a tragic car accident 3 weeks ago and so my word --- yield --- will honor her.

2023 is going to be filled with lots of big changes & events -- my fiance & his children moving in with me & mine and working on being a blended family, my fiance starting a new job, our two oldest starting high school, our wedding & our honeymoon -- and I am an anxiety-riddled control freak, to put it nicely, who spent most of her adult life trying to hold things together and keep things moving. It would be so nice & healthy & mature for me to allow my fiance, as well as others and circumstances in general, to make decisions and to recognize that my choices and my decisions are not always the best (or only) ones.

I don't like the implications of "surrender" which, to me, feels like allowing everyone and everything control. "Yield" feels more like I still retain my autonomy even when I make space for other things. My friend was the one who would have talked me down if I found myself panicking a few months from now over a wedding "crisis" or a blended family issue so since she can't, I am going to try to do it myself in a way.
What a great way to honor your friend. You definitely have a lot of changes coming your way. I agree with yield over surrender. I like that control as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I have picked words but then never did anything with them. I really want to do something with one this year and am debating on ‘change’, ‘focus’ and ‘challenge’
Challenge is another good one! Change was the most powerful one for me to date, with Strong being a close second!