View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 01:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We lived with my parents for many years. My parents lived in their side of the house, which was the main house and we lived in the in-law suite. There was a large foyer breaking off their side and our side of the house. We always had our house doors opened, when we didn't mind the company. My girls were always coming and going in between the houses. Once my husband deployed, we started making meals together and eating as a whole. I helped make dinner with my dad and helped my mom clean up after dinner was done. When the girls would go to bed, my father and I would play card games and watch tv until around 10 when I'd go home, lock my door and go to bed. I really liked when we lived liked this. It was nice having my parents there, being close to them. It really help build our relationship.

The second time we lived with them, my sister and her family lived in the in-law portion of the house. So we shared the living space with my parents. It was a little more difficult, because our youngest was just a toddler and my father doesn't like the noises of small children. There was a lot of tension, and trying to avoid one another, staying out of each other's way.

I don't really have any advice, other than respect each other's personal space and read their tells of whether or not they want to be bothered. If you are sharing bathrooms, ask if anyone needs to use it before you take a long shower or monopolize the bathroom too long. Enjoy your time together. You are going to get to know each other on such a deeper, personal level than just mother/daughter. I'll cherish the moments that my parents and I just talked...set aside that I was their daughter. Talked. REALLY got to know my parents, their history, etc.