View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Reading False Starts...

Ugh. My reading momentum was seriously hindered this week with two false starts. Don't you just hate it when that happens??!! It's so frustrating. Especially when you get past a certain point and have already invested several hours/days into that particular reading journey.

The first was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson... which is a truly remarkable book, honestly! The writing is fantastic and the world building is phenomenal... but after 300 pages, I just wasn't sure I was up to following these characters for another 700 pages! Yikes. I may choose to pick this up again at a later date, so I'm not officially labeling it a "DNF".

The second was The Gilded Wolves - Roshani Chokshi... it's another book filled with terrific writing... but after 175 pages, I just couldn't connect with any of the characters, and often found myself feeling complete apathy for the entire story. I'm not sure what happened, so I've decided to stop for now. Again, I hope to restart this one eventually, but at this time, it's not happening.

So what do you do when this happens?? Is it an issue that occurs often for you? How much leeweay do you allow a book before you call it quits? And once you stop, is it likely that you'll start it again later?

Thankfully this doesn't happen to me very often.