View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 05:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
In SF I shrink the gray photo box to better fit the page. SF's preset size leaves about half an inch cut off, so this helps with bleed and when making your pages because you're better able to know what your the printed page will look like.
Turn Advanced Editing on.
1. Choose the page you want to edit. (I just choose the page my book is open to because we're going to apply this to all pages so it doesn't matter which one you actually "edit.")
2. Click and drag the gray photo box so that the bounding box can be seen.
3. Resize similarly to how you do in PS. I resize to 11.5, which allows a tiny bit of white around the edges of the page, but I find that's preferable to losing some of my LO.
4. Center the photo box.
5. Go to PAGE > Apply to other pages. Choose Layout and click APPLY. All of your pages will have both this full-size photo sizing applied to it.
Thank you for the tips, Sara! I might give Shutterfly another chance using your tips. I've been using Shutterfly since around 2006 or 2007. I've only printed 8x8 books with no more than 24 pages. The quality is just not that good anymore, in my experience. The pages are fairly dark and very uneven. By that, I mean that what is printed is not even. If I had a page with a 1/2-inch border all the way around, the border in the gutter would be totally not seen - it would be hidden by the binding. You would see 1/8-inch on the bottom and 3/8-inch on the top. Just horrible! This was last summer. The customer service was great, but when they redid the book it was the same and a few pages were worse. I tried Mixbook, and that was a disaster for me, as I thought I was following the bleed lines, but I guess not. Some pages I saw a white border, other pages were cut off.

I may also try some of the other companies mentioned. I would prefer putting them in 8x8 3-ring binders to avoid all the border/gutter issues, but those are to find. Persnickety Prints does a fabulous job printing. I've got oodles of print credits.

To those of you who videotaped your books, what awesome books!

Edited to add that I have never scrapped chronologically. When I've made books, they are by theme: Cousins, School Days (even before my son was out of high school), water fun, Christmas, scouts, Firsts (and not just baby's firsts), etc. The layouts within each book are in chrono order. I even did a book with my layouts from SSD's 13th and 14th birthdays! Those layouts are in the order that I created them.

Last edited by lizziej; 03-13-2021 at 05:55 PM.