View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 04:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziej View Post
Thank you for the tips, Sara! I might give Shutterfly another chance using your tips. I've been using Shutterfly since around 2006 or 2007. I've only printed 8x8 books with no more than 24 pages. The quality is just not that good anymore, in my experience. The pages are fairly dark and very uneven. By that, I mean that what is printed is not even. If I had a page with a 1/2-inch border all the way around, the border in the gutter would be totally not seen - it would be hidden by the binding. You would see 1/8-inch on the bottom and 3/8-inch on the top. Just horrible! This was last summer. The customer service was great, but when they redid the book it was the same and a few pages were worse. I tried Mixbook, and that was a disaster for me, as I thought I was following the bleed lines, but I guess not. Some pages I saw a white border, other pages were cut off.

I may also try some of the other companies mentioned. I would prefer putting them in 8x8 3-ring binders to avoid all the border/gutter issues, but those are to find. Persnickety Prints does a fabulous job printing. I've got oodles of print credits.

To those of you who videotaped your books, what awesome books!

Edited to add that I have never scrapped chronologically. When I've made books, they are by theme: Cousins, School Days (even before my son was out of high school), water fun, Christmas, scouts, Firsts (and not just baby's firsts), etc. The layouts within each book are in chrono order. I even did a book with my layouts from SSD's 13th and 14th birthdays! Those layouts are in the order that I created them.
I had exactly the same experience on my last Shutterfly book -- the page crops were all over the place. And when they redid it, it came out exactly the same. I don't know if they are using some new technology that attempts to assess and "correct" the cropping, but whatever the reason, my pages were unevenly cropped on many pages. It was very frustrating and has me looking for alternatives. I might try Photobook America.