View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
This isn't something that I personally do but I think the big advantage would be the ability to sort the layouts however you wanted rather than being restricted by the gallery sorting. You could tag them based on number of photos, theme, etc and you'd have offline access to them like some others mentioned. Or like the OP mentioned, you could save them directly to the kit folder so you can find them all easily when you went to use the kit.

Personally I don't have any real issue with it but I can understand why it would make some people uncomfortable. Maybe an alternative option would be to use some kind of visual bookmarking site instead so that you can group/tag inspiration how you want while still leaving control of the original layout in the hands of the scrapper who created that page.
**I feel inclined to say, lol, that I genuinely do try to cut my typing down...and also, that believe it or not...it's true...you think this is a lot...I actually went through and deleted as much as I felt I could without taking away from giving my perspectives on the matter at hand...I'm a rambling work in progress. Please do forgive me. Lol. Allow my to add "Rambler's Anonymous" to my list of "12 Step programs I feel I would be member to if they existed." lol. **

I completely agree Lynette! I wonder how practical this approach would be or how doable...it would be great to kind of not do so much a "public" commentation gallery...where users can list side notes for themselves, and/or tag appropriately for later recollection of what stood out about it...kind of like...favoriting it, but with some ability to privately note it and tag the "favorites" section you make by kits you've bought etc. Kind of a blend between "Kaboodle" and favoriting...

I must say though, that that actually IS a reason, same as others have mentioned for wanting it on my hard drive. Mainly the reasons listed...having it within my kit folder as well as having access to it when I don't have a connection.

Further considering it however, I must admit also, the tagging approach (sincerely need to get ACDSee for that amongst so many other reasons...) would also benefit me, because, aside from just being a reminder about what struck me with that kit, it'd be nice to be able to "tag" layouts as "inspiration" rather than keep an inspiration folder and also tag layouts I HAVE saved thematically..."Christmas", "Big Photo" "Many photo approach" "particular element usage/technique" (that I love and may had not considered prior...) (Speaking of which do any of you ACDSee'ers know if we can save mini notes on a singular basis rather than creating a whole category? I ask, because I haven't used ACDSee since I trialed it back in 08 and loved it...and was planning even then to buy it for all that it already offers but that idea, in reference to notating layouts, or even a particular element...perhaps noting it to a technique to remember to try later.)

As far as a solution to the problem, I really think even aside from the saving thing, that a big help for many would be to possibly link to the layout gallery itself so that we CAN favorite it. Honestly speaking, a big reason I DO save it, is my way of 'favoriting it", as I'd mentioned, sometimes a layout in there does actually inspire me to the point that I take out time attempting to find it in the gallery so that I can save it to my favorites. Saving it to my computer is simply to avoid the whole process that that actually does take, much more trouble so, that it's far easier to just feel nonchalant about "Oh, well, I'll just save it here in my inspiration since I don't want to do that big search out..."

I do always think to myself though how much I'd love it to be able to more quickly find it in the gallery. I'd suggest them not putting it with the kit to avoid all of the confusion, but that sadly, or at least I strongly believe, would drop sales for kits, and not because the kits are EVER bad...as I've mentioned FAR FAR from it...or else duh I wouldn't be here addicted to staring at them, buying them, being inspired by them, and even staring at and adoring and being inspired by the kit's artistic "offspring"... but because, with my current "trying to reason myself out of a kit" approach, not seeing any layouts is a quick and easy excuse to turn a kit down because I'm not seeing the full usability of it.

I think a few other good approaches are:

**Designers not ok with it, can list it, at least in the gallery maybe, that "Nothing personal, but I'm not comfortable with my layouts being saved to your hard drive. Please simply add it to your favorites." And I do get your viewpoint, that you shouldn't HAVE to do this because you'd likely think that it IS common sense to not save someone else's work, but as has been demonstrated, many don't see it as an issue, from either sides of the plate, having their own saved, nor saving another's. I think it's a matter of...usually...if you're ok and even honored to consider the idea that someone saved your layout for purposes of this sort, it doesn't occur immediately that someone else may not be ok with it. I'm the type that I don't think I'd have a problem with it so MUCH, not thinking of it in depth...though viewing it from that mindset, can make you stop and go..."Hmmm that IS a little weird when I stop and THINK about it from THAT particular angle." But because I already was pretty ok with it as it stood, I'm easily relaxed into being able to feel like there's no harm intended in the action whether it's a little odd or not. (of course as with any situations, there are people who will shrug it off...though with some who'd never considered it as an issue of respect prior, will now take into account that the designer for this layout feels uncomfortable with the action.

**I've seen some stores link to a general search function that automatically searches the gallery...this would be great if they simply had CT members upload their layout with the kit name or something the designer specifies when giving out the kit, (a number even perhaps?)...so that the link will search for that specific number, or a link that will search directly within their CT section with that kit name? This way people can favorite them...

**Some REALLY cool gallery site that would offer all of these options...one great angle that I know many are probably even already accustomed to, would be a "stock photo site" approach. Kind of like sxc.hu...that way...the layout can be kept instead in "lightboxes" and have the aforementioned things...designers ok with having layouts downloaded, can have them downloaded...etc...KIND of like a stock/gallery hybrid site. The layouts from afar can have perhaps the general overlook, clicking it would should a version "not right clickable" bigger image of it and further explanation of the photo shown etc...and then...a way to click on layouts you'd like to have on your hard drive that would ask for permission to a layout in cases you'd like a copy as a reminder on your hard drivee. That way...those who feel a little odd about having their children's photo on someone else's hard drive can have...perhaps a stand in picture in the one given out...? (But flattened image so it'd be very different than being a "giving out a quickpage" I say a "hybrid version" of a stock site because I don't know if stock sites have an easy "comment' spot? But then again they may have a testimonial spot or option to it...? Idk...and I can't say that I know whether they're told/identified when they're 'lightboxed'...

The more I think of it...it's sounds a lot closer to Deviant Art's setup...? I think a Deviant Art "style" gallery would be a great approach...especially because I do love the drag and drop "favoriting" approach. Only LIKE Deviant Art but without it being a full on "community" geared intent...if that makes sense...more of a standalone site gallery type option...very usuable search, categorized browsing, download restrictions, being able to preview the actual layout while downloading a different version if necessary...adding to favorites, commenting individually on layouts...of course all of this in consideration to a much erm...girlier scrap approach and probably a different layout? Idk... Lol. I also can imagine that as idealistic as it sounds, who knows how actually accessible it would be...I can guess that there's some type of development team they use that keeps it running smoothly in the first place. It would be a great overall gallery approach for scrappers though. Whether as a store add on...or a gallery for all layouts...without a forum. Lol. We're not talking a whole other forum set up...just a possible different community gallery set up in general. (Yes, I commonly idealize...)