View Single Post
Old 03-15-2022, 08:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
As a boomer and having lived in this house when it was all carpet, I rather dislike it.

I had the 1970's orange carpet removed from the living room, dining room and hall in 2003. Also had the indoor outdoor carpeting that was in the kitchen taken out at that time. All of this covered the original hardwood that my parents had put in when they built the house in 1964. My dad suggested that instead of refinishing the hardwood that I put in laminate so I did. That laminate was replaced in 2017 with waterproof laminate which is great with having a dog.

I kept the carpet in the bedrooms (installed in early 90's) until 2017. I put the same waterproof laminate in these 3 rooms as well. So I have absolutely no carpet in my ranch style house at all.

Biggest benefit for me is that I can see the dust and since I'm allergic to it, I can get it out of there right away. The amount of dust that builds up in carpet is horrible. I use a regular old dust mop and have a robot vacuum to keep things clean. I can do quick mopping of spots if needed and the cleaning lady does a real good mopping once a month.

I have some cheap throw rugs in the bedroom next to the bed. I also have a couple in the bedroom that is used as an office. They can be washed if the dog makes a mess on them. I also have 2 Ruggable rugs, one in the kitchen and one in the foyer at the front door. Love that they can be washed if the dog makes a mess.

I still have the allergies but my problems are not as bad as when I had all that carpet. My personal choice is to never have carpet again. Also much easier to make decorating changes with throw rugs... can switch colors easily
I have a ruggable in our family room. It's great since I have dogs and a spill-prone hubby. My only objections is that the edges turn up which drives me a little crazy.