View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 01:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm Gen-X. I have mixed feelings about the carpet/no carpet debate. Most homes I've lived in over the years have had carpet in every room except kitchen and bathrooms. We lived in 2 homes that had original hardwood floors.

Basically, I love the look of a laminate or hardwood floor, but hate the upkeep. We have pets. We will always have pets. The amount of hair that ended up blowing across the floor on a daily basis was insane (and this was when we had less pets than we do now)! The carpet collects hair as well but it is more evenly spread out and isn't blowing across the floor in clumps. We also have a dog that freaks out if his feet touches a slick surface. I mean, he will take a flying leap and jump 10 feet across the dining room to avoid the laminate floor if the runner isn't in place. Our carpet is OLD (original to the house built in '79) but it is in decent shape still and I don't foresee getting rid of it while we still have Peanut. He's about 5, so it could be another 10 years or so.

We are putting in a floating floor in the basement. We ripped out the gold and orange shag carpet from in there and it is just cement right now but the flooring is in the garage ready to be put down. Once we move my son downstairs I will rip the carpet out of his old bedroom upstairs and that will be my office/craft room. I think I'll do a laminate flooring in there. I don't expect Peanut will be going in there often. He doesn't go in there now.