View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 03:17 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default At what age should you 'cut the cord' so to speak..

when it comes to your kids dealing with their teachers/grades etc.

I've always instilled in Connor that HE needs to talk to his teachers- but obviously, if there's ever a grade he feels was wrong, or an issue that comes up etc, I am going to reach out to the teacher myself to get clarification, or ask if he could get extra help etc etc.

Connor is in 6th grade now- and I'm so very torn. I don't want to be one of those parents, that's always meddling and arguing with the teachers etc... but to be frank, he is still really immature and clearly not following through with anything

We've had two situations so far. First was math. He had a 106 average. All his quizes, assignments etc were 100's- and he had done some extra credit. Then I see his test score (not the actual test) and he received a 58. Obviously, I was uh.. displeased, and asked him wtf he was doing...nicely. lol. He kept saying he doesn't know how on earth he could have gotten such a terrible grade because he knew the work (obviously) and it didn't make sense. I reminded him. daily. for a week and a half, to talk to his teacher. Find out what happened. Did she think he was cheating? Did he skip a page of the test? WHAT. Nope. never did. THEN she even gave him the opportunity for more extra credit, AND HE DIDN'T DO IT. So of course, my faith in him dealing with situations or giving a crap about his grades (FYI he loves math -.-) went down the toilet.

FFW'd to last night, I'm reviewing his grades again (We have access to every single homework/quiz/classwork/test grade etc) and I see that another one of his courses suddenly took a nose dive. He again, had an A+ average in geography, and now it's saying C. WTF Connor... again! I opened it up- and it said he had a missing assignment.. a section of his grade worth 30% -.- He missed one day of school- claims his teacher said 'don't worry about making up the classwork' and ... then this? However when I read the description it said he had 3 class days to complete said project.. and that it was due 10/9 - a day he was definitely in school anyway.

He again, is just shrugging it off. Repeating that his teacher said not to do it (I don't buy that, or it was a miscommunication). He has cross country practice after school, so I won't see him until tonight.. but I've been sitting here fuming, knowing in the back of my mind he's not even going to bother speaking to the teacher again.

So what would you do? Let him just get a 0 on something worth a huge chunk of his grade and do nothing? Email the teacher and get clarification so that I can punish him appropriately ? Ask the teacher if he can hand it in late/do extra credit?

Part of me says.. dude. you're almost 12. you're responsible, suffer the consequences.. the other part of me is like AAAHOMG you've been working so hard to maintain really high grades and you messed this up and I need to help you fix it.