View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are spoiled rotten.... I know it's my fault, so when it comes to years like the past few where money has been extra tight (and even more so this year) it's been hard to keep the holidays as "normal" the way they've known it as possible. When I was a kid Christmas/Birthday/Easter were the "big ones" where we got stuff and were spoiled and I didn't change that with my boys.

The boys are 13, 10 and 8. and the little ones all look up to the one(s) bigger and try to be just like them, so even though I still have a young one they all are mostly the same... video game addicts. I don't mind it, because they are not the Stereotypical gamer addicts, BUT it does make me forget sometimes just how young they still are on the ODD chance they do play with something else (which is very rare, and not entirely their fault and we've been pretty much living out of boxes the past three years they don't have much space to get into anything. With that said, I am trying to be different this year.... I have been bargain hunting like crazy for a while so they can still have a big Christmas on the cheap but without losing quality.

All the boys will have a few things in common - Minecraft Lego, Found a great deal on nerdy gamer t shirts that are different that those in local stores so it's something different, 1 video game, they always get new jammies, and I'm getting them a combined gift (a table top game - settlers of catan).

Then individual stuff
Xavier (13) - he's a computer nerd, and I like to teach him new things (like graphic design, and building websites and coding... he has gotten into making and editing his own youtube videos so it's not all "play" so I found a cool Minecraft Stop Motion animation kit, he needs a new headset/mic to do his videos, and I'm working on getting him to tell me something non gamey....

Robbie (10) - he loves to cook so every year he gets a new "maker" I'm thinking maybe a pizza one, or a food dehydrator (this year in 4H his foods projects focus is on meat so he really wants to make his own jerky!), I got him the wilton cake decorating board so he can practice his borders and different tips (he's crazy about perfection!!!), and the other day he said he'd like the actual board game of life (YES! something fun that's not electronic! yay!!)

Preston (8) - He likes to Art Journal with me so I plan to get him some new art supplies, .... other than that I am at a complete loss for what to get him. I don't want to waste money on toys because they don't play with them, but at the same time I hate that he's only 8 and isn't still into them :S So I have my thinking cap on for him as well.

and Santa is bringing the Lego Dimensions game for all 3 of them.... something they have all agreed on that they'd like to have.

So yes, LOTS of bargain hunting needs to happen to make it all come together.