View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 11:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
When my grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's the first thing my grandmother did was start planning for the both of them. It was such a good thing once my mom and her siblings had to take over for her affairs once my grandfather was gone. They even planning all of the funeral details and expenses. All my mom and her siblings had to do was plan the little things.

Also, having someone help with the care-taking was really important, too. My grandmother took care of him for as long as she could but it really took a toll on her health also...and she was eleven years younger than him. Once they arranged for a little help from the VA she was able to rest some. Also, they can be pretty mean to people and ones that are trained to handle that sort of thing makes things better mentally on the person caring for them. (just our experience...may not be everyone's experience)
Yeah, my mom wasn't belligerent, she was a weeper. Now my uncle held off the state and federal authorities with a shotgun for hours after his wife called because he was having a violent outburst. When they were arraigning him, he tried to attack the judge and he was totally out of control in jail. (It wasn't where he needed to be, but was the result of his actions.) Once they got through the legal stuff and got him in a nursing home, it wasn't much better. He's broken out twice now. Only one who can calm him is my aunt who works there. Crazy thing is he couldn't stand her before the dementia and now he adores her.