View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 10:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

As of now we're supposed to go back to school April 13th, but I don't think it's going to happen. We usually go until mid-June, and I think it's 50/50 whether we go back by then.

I'm a preschool teacher, so there's only so much we can do for our students online. Starting tomorrow I'll be sending weekly activity ideas and recording myself reading books for my class, but that's about all I can do.

Apparently there are regulations near us that prevent public schools from requiring online education. Under normal circumstances that makes sense since not everyone has internet access and devices, but these are not normal times. So for the first 2 weeks teachers are only allowed to post optional, ungraded review assignments while they deal with those regulations. My 10th grader and 5th grader handle their assignments very independently, and I'm sure they'll continue to do the same when we go to "real" distance learning. I don't know if my daughter will be able to learn math that way, but we'll figure it out. My special needs 8th grader is the one I'm worried about. Just helping him get through these assignments is a lot of work for me (and him), and if they get to the point where they truly expect 6-8 hours a day from the kids it's going to be a nightmare for him. He's on the autism spectrum and has ADHD and dysgraphia. He'll work for his teachers, but home is not school and I'm not his teacher--he won't make the switch like his neurotypical peers will. Even at school, he only works when a teacher is directly assisting or closely supervising and he does a reduced volume of work. Not sure how any of that will work at home, but I suspect I'm going to be spending 8+ hours a day trying to help him learn. It's a really good thing that I don't have the kind of job that expects me to be working 8 hours a day from home! For now I'm being paid, but I feel terrible that our families are being asked to continue to pay tuition while school isn't meeting. Thankfully DH's job won't be affected except for teleworking instead of going into the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
My daughter heard through the grapevine that they are talking about prom and graduation in the summer, once things have settled down. She feels better about that at least.
I hope that happens, for your daughter and all the other high school and college seniors who are missing those special times and chances to say goodbye.