View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 05:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

On the "mom side" of things, I see the frustration... we're trying to raise kids who don't have every toy they've seen on a commercial (or, more likely now, on a youtube toy review video!), who realize that the best part of a birthday or holiday aren't the gifts, etc. And also constantly battling the mess all those gifts make in our homes.

But, if you put your "grandparent shoes" on, and think of it from the perspective of someone who already spent 20 years needing to make the responsible choices we're trying to make and saying "you don't need that"/"we just bought you xyz"/"money doesn't grow on trees", they've been looking forward to this chance. It's one of the grandparent perks

For me, I get much less frustrated with my own mom, because she listens to my requests most of the time, or buys them the things that I would have to buy (new bathing suits every summer, construction paper & glue sticks, etc.) So, if she takes my kids to the candy store and lets them buy $50 worth of candy, it's okay (she just has to put them to bed that night, haha). However, due to underlying issues with my MIL, I get suuuuper frustrated when she attempts to "spoil" my kids. Nothing I have said or asked my husband to say has inspired her to change, so I just grin (okay, maybe more like grit my teeth) and bear it.