View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 11:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I was raised by my grandmother. My mom was in and out of the picture so at times we definitely had 3 or more generations living together.

When I was around 5 we lived in a house that was broke up into separate wings that all broke off of a common dining room. One wing was my mom and her husband. Another was my uncle and his wife. The third was my teenage aunt, my grandma, my younger brother and me. The basement often housed my uncle's best friend and whatever girl he was with at the time. Each of the wings had a kitchen. The side we lived in had the big kitchen, the others had smaller ones (like a kitchenette, I guess). We had a family room that everyone shared but each of their spaces had a sitting area as well as one bedroom. Our side had 2-3 bedrooms. I don't remember for sure. It was a big house though. The dining room that separated the wings was massive.

In most of our other houses, there was not separate living quarters. My mom would just lock herself into a bedroom and spend most of her time there.
It sounds like your grandmother was an amazing woman to raise you in the absence of your mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
One of my friends has a grandma who lives with her parents. My friend & her siblings were already grown up when their grandma moved in. They were able to make some renovations to one side of the house to give the grandma her own little living area (her name is Lily, so they call it the Lily Pad, so cute!)
But my friend's mom confided in her that it was difficult for her that the grandma had her own space *and* free reign over the rest of the house, too, unless the parents (homeowners) retreated to the master bedroom. So, either really clear communication about boundaries, or a master suite that included a sitting area for reading, having a cup of tea or watching TV would have been a better setup for them.
One of the requirements as we looked at houses was to have a split floor plan so that we would each have our own space as well as common space. It made house hunting a bit more challenging.