View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 10:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post

Well...tomorrow will be a week that my laptop bombed out on me. I was working on a layout and the last thing I did was save it to finish later. Came back a couple/few hours later and the laptop was dark. Nothing has come to life since.

I have it being looked at but I'm not very hopeful. It's rather old and has been getting slower and s l o w e r over the past few years. We'll see, though.

So...talk to me. If it is truly dead...

I don't know if there's money enough to buy a new computer for me. If not, I'm wondering about buying PSE and installing it on the "family" desktop. I'd rather not have to use PS through a subscription. Don't want money going out to them every single month. I had bought PS CS5 years ago and that's what was on my laptop. Sigh. If I did buy PSE for the desktop, I couldn't be hogging all the file/storage space on it and would need to use an EHD (multiple?)to keep pictures, scrap supplies and layouts on. Does this sound reasonable? I just wouldn't have access to the computer as much as I usually do. Meaning, not as much as I did on my l laptop.

If...big if...we can buy a new computer for me...what do I get???
I tend to feel technically challenged. I'm used to sitting in my recliner while I do my scrapbooking but it seems like most laptops I've glanced at in stores the past few years are tiny. Tiny screens. I know, I know, some of you have massive desktop screens and some of you use 2 or 3 of them. lol Do they still make laptops with a bigger screen? Gotta go googling... I'm not opposed to having my own desktop if it would be less expensive. Not even sure which costs more... laptops (without tiny screens) or desktops?

Then there's the questions of how much RAM and processors and I don't know what all.

A little discouraging when I don't even know yet if a new computer is a possibility.

Hoping to be back to scrapping sooner than later.
I'm not much help, as I'm a desktop girl with 3 monitors and pay the $10 a month for PS Creative Cloud BUT In general when shopping around for a new pc- I ended up looking at gaming pc's as they have better graphics cards and usually more RAM. I think if you get the highest amount of RAM you can with a gaming laptop in your budget, you should be good. I think you can get pretty big screens too still. Sorry you're dealing with this & good luck!