View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
Sorry, that comment comes from me feeling extremely inadequate and that I have no idea what I'm doing. I feel shoved into homeschooling, it's not a choice I normally would have made for my family and I really don't know what I'm doing... haaaa
Just remember that when your kids are young, they are learning in everything they do! I have homeschooled since my 13-year-old was like 3 (aside from 1 year we did public) - I was overly excited and wanted to start. I literally had my 3-year-old doing workbooks and flashcards and everything. She is a smart girl, but no smarter from all that extra stuff I did than my other kids who didn't do much structured until 2nd or 3rd. One thing I have learned is that at least for the first 3 or 4 years of school, you truly don't need curriculum or to have all the subjects covered. I mean, if I could go back with my older ones and do it over, for K and 1st at least, I would probably just have them practice reading for a short time each day, a short handwriting practice sheet, and maybe a math game, no more than 45 min to an hour a day. I always wanted to have a super impressive curriculum all planned out for my kids, and I did most of the time, but that does not mean that they learned any more (and probably had way less fun) than an unschooling family who didn't have structured learning planned out.

A lot of rambling there, but I just don't want you to feel you are not doing a good job - that is the feeling I was working against for so many years, and most of that stress and over-working of the kids was just plain unnecessary.