View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 01:20 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am soooooo with you! OMG! I so got you!
My own parents are thousands of miles away from us and we see them mostly once a year for 3 weeks, when we fly down to my home. So I don't mind them spoiling my son (their first grandchild) for a bit. However, from the very beginning, I was very sternly saying that if I don't allow him to have what they plan to gift to him, please respect my decision and find something else.
Ps. My parents do have financial problems too.

Now... my in-laws. We live 10 minutes walking distance away from them. DH is the only son, so go figures... My MIL was crazy about spoiling our son, money & presents for birthday, children's day and any holidays that she can relate to giving him something. But, I talked to DH and asked him to talk to her. It wasn't immediate and she complained about it. But, gradually, she had to cave in and only get gifts that we choose beforehand. As to the money, she still does give and we can't stop that, but we keep it as saving for our son, instead.
Thankfully, my in-laws are pretty safe financially with their own pensions, etc. However, I really don't want my son to be so spoiled that he doesn't cherish the gifts he gets.